Close

Maximus XL 3D Printer

One man from France, named Michael Ipas has created a RepRap based 3D printer called the Maximus XL. He is currently seeking 20,000 euros on Indiegogo for the production of this extra large desktop printer. The Maximus XL will also come with a full year of hardware upgrades as Ipas continues to improve upon the machine. More details on this 3D printer can be found here: http://3dprint.com/12168/maximus-xl-3d-printer/

Below are some general specs for the printer:
    • Printer Size: 500 x 500 x 500mm
    • Build Envelope: 430 x 330 x 250 mm
    • Filament Type: Nylon, ABS, Laywood, PLA
    • Printer Electronic: Rambo Board and Nema 17 steppers motors
    • Price: Kit format only, 875-950 euros

Check out the picture of the large machine below.

Engineer-in-Training
    That seems to run very well. I was warned away from trying that kind of design because the weight on the bottom of such a long Z would act as a pendulum, and any imprecision in the Z linear slides would cause it to lose accuracy.

Engineer
    big time! thats a terrible design. the resonance marks and ringing will be terrible.

Student
    I agree, I am underwhelmed about this design. I have been selling printers (http://www.alayax.com/3d-printers/av...inter-108.html ) with a similar bed size, with a proven design, for months, and he is not doing anything particularly innovative. He does have those six guide bearings, but only on one axis, they are going to dimple the Z-axis shaft in no time, and that is going to reduce the accuracy even more. Unless it prints really slowly.

It might be good for adding to an existing object though, maybe that is why he did it this way.