Close

Will Any Large Companies enter the 3D printing Market?

I know we are expecting some sort of announcement from HP before the end of the year, but do you guys think any other big companies will jump into the 3D printing market as well? I've heard rumors of Apple and Google, but I just can't see it happening. What about Epson, or Microsoft or any other of the large 2D printer or electronics manufacturers?

Yes Epson actually has plans to enter the market, but not for another 4-5 years. As for HP, we should get something by the end of this year. I don't think we will see consumer targeted desktop machines from either company though in the short run. As for Apple and Google, it's certainly possible, probably not for a few years yet. Autodesk should also have a machine out by the end of this year as well.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    they will all enter it - the commercial possibilities are pretty staggering.

Once you've got copy protected files and locked down file distribution then a home machine that can replicate parts for consumer goods will be a must.

Not free files from thingiverse etc - but actual copyrighted files from manufacturers, paid for, securely downloaded to your box and made in your home.

It's a few years yet - but it's where this amazing technology is heading.

We're talking propriatory locked down filament cartidges, closed system electronics, possibly user designed files - but primarily they'll be for making parts cheaper and quicker than you can buy them.

That's what the big commercial guys will want - and it will happen. Probably within the next 5 years definitely within the next 10.

What they don't wnat to do is spend a lot of money on research and manufacturing, only to have some chinese factory rip it off.
    At the moment the whole system is just too open to be attractive to the really big commercial mega-sharks.

At this very moment I'm printing a replacement handle for a gtech electric carpet sweeper (got a dog ? get a sweeper :-).
    The design is mine, it should be stronger and lasrt longer than the ones I've had to buy in the past with a deliberately built in design flaw (so you keep buying handles).,
    It's going to cost me about £0.60 to make.
    The flawed replacement would cost about £6 - 10 times as much to buy.

But how many people would be prepared to put the hours in to design and improve their own household gadgets ?
    Damn few.
    I've stopped watching television since I've had my 3d printer. Haven't got the time to spare and I'd much rather be designing and making stuff.
    Between that, work and my usual life - something had to give and it was television.
    Most people won't want to make that decision :-)

However offer them a magic box that will make preprogrammed parts for them, with endorsement from, dyson, hoover, ford, samsung, apple, google etc - And cost maybe half what a part directly from the manufacturer would cost (bear in mind you pay all costs - all they do is sell you a secure file).
    Add in an apple 3d store and a google 3d store and you've got an absolutely bottomless platinum mine in the making.
    Cheap Full colour fdm is almost here. Once that's in the commercial boys will start the takeover bid.

And I can see magic maker boxes in all the supermarkets, electronic stores, hardware stores - you get the idea.

And a secure platform is in the works - somewhere - count on it !
    If google aren't developing one - they're about to buy a company that is.

MY advice, learn all you can while you can and hoard any useful stl files :-)

And if my handle works as well as I hope - I'll slap some text on it, upload it to thingiverse and gtech can kiss my arse !
    Today - in the future I can see copyright laws getting a lot more draconian and copyright lawyers salivating in anticipatiion.

Google and it's satanic minions pretty much killed the open internet, how long before they get their claws on 3d printing ?

Be Afraid - Be very afraid !
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-17-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    I aggre with you totally, the problem with people is, they want everything to happends with out moving a finger and do it magically, i live in México in an small town you can imagine how hard is to sell something New to people, that can improve their life or simply is way better than the cheaper Stuff they get everywhere, but if theres a known name like Apple, Samsung, Google on it even if Its fake, they Will literally rip it out of your hands, i know it i have seen it they even pay more for name they know above anything else.

And concerning to the use of cartriges and secure .stl files, thats what most if not all the big companys want, here in mexico with all the New laws Its becoming almost imposible for the small and médium companies to compite against the big guys, according to the politicians Its cheaper to buy from another country than do it in the here, now imagine that happends on the states, that only big companys aré allow to créate or manufacture Stuff, and small companys cant aford the manufacturing prices because the laws impose even greater tax to small companies, an literally none, yes none to the big companys, using the scuse that big companys gives jobs to the people, when is the middle clases with all the small companys that pays their bills and taxes on time that moves ANY country

sorry if it went too far or theres a little bit of anger on my words, Its just the frustration of trying to archive something, and you cant do it because of all the bad interest out there