Close

Technician

Question How to field-strip and clean an extruder?

Hi all,

NOTE: This is in a PowerSpec re-branded Creator X printer.

After 2 months of flawless operation using ABS, I decided to give PLA a try, with ... interesting results.

I'll leave my bed adhesion issues for another time, but for now, when I loaded up the PLA in left extruder, I encountered a repeated clicking that I recall reading is a sign of the hobbed bolt not gripping the filament correctly. I was able to print a calibration cube, and to do my stock garden gnome print (the gnome army in the office were glad for a new recruit), but after that, the extruder started behaving very badly.

I switched back to ABS while I figure out some of my other issues, and the clicking is now non-stop, and filament isn't coming out of the extruder nozzle.

I figure I need to field-strip it and clean out whatever gunk is in there. I would feel a bit more comfortable with a set of instructions on how to do this, if they exist.

If they don't exist, perhaps I can document my adventures for the future, but I figured I'd ask first.

I've seen a few threads about cleaning a clogged nozzle, but haven't noticed if there's a thread about an extruder rebuild. If there is, and I missed it, my apologies for this thread, and a pointer to the correct place would be appreciated.

After that, I'll be scouring the internet for best practices for running Sainsmart PLA with more consistent results than I've been getting.

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers you can provide.

Regards,

John

John - these threads should be of help

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...shforge+nozzle

and

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...shforge+nozzle

Disassembling and cleaning the print head(s) is not particularly difficult, just scary the first time.

The short answer to your questions is remove the two hex bolts that are at the bottom of the cooling fan - take care that you don't lose the plastic spacers. Once that is done the whole thing can be seen & whatever is blocking your unit can be removed.

Good luck!

dave

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    to remove the gear itself you need to loosen a little grub screw (allen key to do this should have come with printer) the gear then just slides off the shaft and you can clear it with a craft knife.

I found a combination of craft knife and small paint brush got it completely clean in a few minutes.

Technician
    I tried the first and least intrusive suggestion that I saw. Heated the extruder to 250c and then selected 'load left' to push through the already loaded extruder to get a bunch of filament rolling on through. I'm running a test print now, and the clicking seems to have stopped. I think I'll wind up cleaning it out at some point, but I'm back to being able to run ABS through both extruders reliably.

Thanks to all for the link pointers. I had been rummaging around in the forum, but apparently didn't read far enough. Sorry for any trouble, and the gnome army is grateful.

Cheers,

John

Man it would be great if we had or someone could make a complete exploded view of the FlashForges.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by 34Ford View Post
    Man it would be great if we had or someone could make a complete exploded view of the FlashForges.
    I have posted many, the problem is the forum has grown and some of them have dissapeared to other pages,

Technician
    When I get around to stripping the left extruder to ensure that it's really clean, I'll try to remember to take pictures of the process.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jdg56 View Post
    When I get around to stripping the left extruder to ensure that it's really clean, I'll try to remember to take pictures of the process.
    Second post...

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...-Creator-forum

Technician
    Well, I had to clean out the extruder last night. I completely forgot about the camera; I was setting up to print heart gears for my sweetie, and just wanted to get back to printing.

I would recommend that you remove the extruders from their carriage before you do much work. It makes re-assembly easier, since you can stack up the plastic spacers on a vertical axis, that way.

It was not difficult, once I figured out where everything was and how to get to the guts of the matter.

Thanks, Geoff, for pointing out the relevant threads.

Cheers,

John