Close

Using ATX power supply for power a Delta Printer

The ATX power supply I am using is the Corsair TX 650 Watt psu. It has 12V 52A on a single rail. My question is that the connectors have multiple single 12V wires. If I am powering my controller board with say just 1 wire and a separate heatbed with another single wire, is this appropriate to wire the the circuit in this manner?

If you have converted an computer ATX PSU to power your printer, you will know that you had a bundle of yellow wires which are the 12V wires. When I did my set up, I connected only one (1) yellow wire to an output socket. Then I connected three wires to the output pin.

Two of these output wires are connected to my RAMPS board. The third wire runs to my heat bed (via a relay which is switched from the RAMPS board).

Basically, what you have done is OK. The reason that I have wired my PSU the way I have is so that I can eaasily disconnect it from the printer if I have to move things around. Here's a picture of my connections (the negative wires from the RAMPS board and heat bed appear towards the top side of the PSU, and the 12V wires are below. I used heavy duty speaker cable (goldish coloured) just to reduce the amount of resistance in the wiring.

Lights Off - flashlit.jpg

52A is a lot of grunt. My PSU is 18A and runs everything quite OK.

Old Man Emu
    Last edited by old man emu; 08-14-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Ah my 52A is because I'm running really advanced stuff as well. Heated Chamber, Dual Extruders, 400mm diameter heated bed, so on and so forth. Thanks emu