Close

Shapeways Sellers - Have your numbers dropped

I have been selling on Shapeways for about a year now and have been doing fairly well. However, as of the last month and a half my sales have been about 1/2 of what they normally are. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just me? I see no reason for my sales to drop as my products are not seasonal, and there is no new competition. Any idea what could have caused this?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Hall_of_Famer View Post
    I have been selling on Shapeways for about a year now and have been doing fairly well. However, as of the last month and a half my sales have been about 1/2 of what they normally are. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just me? I see no reason for my sales to drop as my products are not seasonal, and there is no new competition. Any idea what could have caused this?
    Technology is catching up, more people own 3D printers or know people that do and the prices shapeways charge for even a single colour white plastic object is ludicrous, then combine those factors with the new machines coming out at budget prices, like SLA printers for $500-$1000

People can buy a machine and produce that sort of quality now, and when the prices of consumables like Resin come down, your sales will plummet even further I forsee, sorry :/

Just wait until we are printing in full colour, I wouldn't be surprised if shapeways will not exist for any other purpose than to manufacture Gold or similar items, unless they come up with some new fandangled technology that blows everyone out of the water, who knows, lol nothing surprises me these days.
    Last edited by Geoff; 08-14-2014 at 06:29 AM.

Technologist
    Agree with Geoff. Price with printer have gone down alot and since it seems like a new printer pops up every week and cheaper then the printer before that it's easy for consumers to buy them now. Most consumers are only knowing about FDM machines so when they see its plastic prints on shape ways they don't know its from a SLS or a SLA printer. So they figure they will just buy a machine and print what they want.