Close

Threaded View

making mechanical parts in metal, electroplating printed parts

hi all,i'm thinking of getting into making kinetic sculptures powered by gear motors and servos, pretty low power stuff, moving weights of up to about 2-300g. i will need to make things like gears, linkages, hinges and pivots, etc. i realize the best way to make durable, good looking metallic parts like gears is to 3D print then make a casting in brass or bronze or something. but that seems like a lot of work and expense.

so I'm more interested in trying to electroplate the 3D printed parts. I expect my largest parts will be around 300mm or so and I'd like them to last several year of use for an hour or so a day. I don't know if that is reasonable to expect from electroplated parts. what do you think?

Anyhow a few questions. I have zero experience 3D printing so please be kind.
    1. what printer? I'm thinking Creality CR-10S. i like to stay under $500 for everything.
    2. what kind of filament for stronger parts? polycarbonate? Carbon Fiber Filled Nylon?
    3. what's the best way to smooth surfaces and remove printer lines prior to plating?
    4. how to prep for electroplating? i see brush painted graphite power in acetone or ink are both popular options. is there nothing in a spray can that would work like copper spray paint? or could I spray graphite power in acetone in my spray gun?4. what plating metal(s) to use? pretty much everything on youtube is copper which is then treated with something called liver of Sulphur which i guess darkens it and stops it oxidizing. but I'm not sure that's the look I'm going for, and copper is quite soft. I'm thinking nickel on copper. What's best option for part durability and corrosion resistance?
    thanks
    Last edited by steveh2112; 09-03-2021 at 10:59 AM.