As I mentioned above, the bed looked crooked, so I figured I should check on that first. But before that I decided to load some filament into the extruder. It took a good 10-15 minutes of fiddling to get the extruder connected to the X carriage. From the front panel, I selected Load Filament and waited for it to heat. It takes about twice as long to heat the filament as the Rep 2. Loading it is essentially the same procedure as the Rep 2. The front panel user interface takes some getting used to, as there are two buttons on each right corner of the display, in addition to the scrollwheel, and the scrollwheel button. At first it is not intuitive that the scrollwheel even has a button, but some of the commands are invoked by pressing the scrollwheel button, and others with the buttons on the right corners of the display. The Rep 2 has far more intuitive UI.

My normal procedure for leveling the bed on the Rep 2 (and all the rest of our different printers) is to make sure the extruder is hot so any ooze is soft and doesn't affect the slide-the-paper-under-the-extruder friction. But the 5th gen wanted me to unload the filament (!?!) before leveling the bed. So I had to unload the filament. When it finished that, it cooled the extruder and allowed me to proceed with the leveling procedure.