Hi Jeff.

I'm still a bit leery of 3d systems' products. We have also had a rep soliciting us to give their products a shot. We may do that.

Some very interesting stuff has been happening with regards to channel support at Makerbot, but I shouldn't talk about that at all. Let's just say that I wasn't willing to sign anything. That said, I also will not reveal any details, I think that would be somewhat unscrupulous.

On the other hand, I have fallen head over heels for Lulzbot. Bought a Taz 4.1, have since upgraded it to Taz 5 standard with the new all metal Hexagon (fangtooth) tool head v2. Good stuff!

Got a Taz 5 yet? I also have my demo Mini sitting behind me in a box. It's hard to get excited about it, since I have a taz 5 (well, I have no PEI, I like PET, so it's a Taz 5.(-1) I suppose).

I have literally zero desire to mess with Makerbot anymore. Now the challenge seems to be reeducating customers. Sometimes I really detest good marketing!

We should talk sometime, offline!

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by American 3D Printing View Post
Sorry it has been so long since I've been able to revisit this thread. I swear, this is the ONLY vBullten forum (out of more than a dozen) that I belong to that won't shoot me an email when somebody posts in one of the threads I'm subscribed to.

Thanks for your posts, Rolf. very similar to our experiences, and almost everyone who's spent much time with a 5th Gen. We've still got ours, the customer who owns it had us put it up on Craigslist for him. We started out at $2,200 and have dropped it to $1,900. We've only had a couple of nibbles, we're about to drop it to $1,700. Since we're a reseller, Makerbot did give us another smart extruder after the 3rd one we were on started getting filament jams on every single build. I believe we had less than 20 hours on that one.

We have been using genuine Makerbot filament exclusively.

We are on the latest firmware and Makerbot for Desktop.

My 3D Systems sales guy is trying to tell us that the Cube 3 is Sooooooooo much better than the crappy 2nd gen Cube. After this experience with the 5th Gen Makerbot, we have told him that we'd be happy to bring in Cube 3s into our store, if only we can test drive one for a while and verify it REALLY is better.