Close

Received Sketchup Model from Architect, Can Anyone Help make "Solid"?

Hello everyone!

I dumbed down a sketchup model that was sent to me, and am looking to print it. I've attached a screenshot. We currently use a 5th G Makerbot Replicator, and I know it needs to be an error-less solid, but I am struggling to get it as so. We use SUSolid too, and it's not helping much. If I were to send someone the .skp, could you please help get it to print-ready? I know it has to be a .STL, I exported it and printed it small scale, and there are errors that don't appear in the Makerbot Desktop app. Attached is a screen shot - please comment if you would like to receive the original file to work with! I am Sketchup savvy but new to 3d printing. Many thanks.

image.jpg

Hello,
    I can try to fix your model,I have some experience with this.
    You can send me a file in PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquilio View Post
    Hello,
    I can try to fix your model,I have some experience with this.
    You can send me a file in PM.
    No. As it turns out, you can't attach files in Private Messages. Go ahead and post the file attached to your next message.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by sm10389 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I dumbed down a sketchup model that was sent to me, and am looking to print it. I've attached a screenshot. We currently use a 5th G Makerbot Replicator, and I know it needs to be an error-less solid, but I am struggling to get it as so. We use SUSolid too, and it's not helping much. If I were to send someone the .skp, could you please help get it to print-ready? I know it has to be a .STL, I exported it and printed it small scale, and there are errors that don't appear in the Makerbot Desktop app. Attached is a screen shot - please comment if you would like to receive the original file to work with! I am Sketchup savvy but new to 3d printing. Many thanks.

image.jpg
    You will need to cut that into several pieces or there will be a monumental amount of support generated under all the awnings. The absolute best way to print that in minimal time and effort. . Remove all the roofing. Print it hollow with empty rooms and no roof, the print the roof as sections and glue it back on after, could have the whole thing printed large scale in under a day.

Hello,

Here at LGM, we have been making Sketchup models solid for over 10 years! It is not necessarily trivial and a lot depends on how it was drawn. One of the tools we use is the software we developed - CADspan. It is on the web at CADspan.com and there is a pretty robust free version . Have a look at it but it is really only part of the solution. Typically we use Materialise Magics ($10K!) for much of our work. The model needs to be both solid and have appropriate thicknesses for 3d printing at the scale you intend to print.

As Geoff mentions, supports are a real issue in Architecture. We have used Z Corp (now 3d sytstems) powder printers since we bought our first one in 2000. The support free nature of powder printing is a good fit for architecture. If you have to print on a single material Rep-Rap derivative, I would follow Geoffs advice and deconstruct it. If you go to the Makerbot store, it is how they have printed many if not most of their architectural demos.

Let us know if you need help.
    Charles