Quote Originally Posted by rongee View Post
How interesting that he was using a version of Visual Studio to make his changes.

I think I understand a little more, but there are still some holes for me. He made his changes in Visual Studio. Okay. Then he talked about "compiling" the code, which makes sense (I'm an old software developer), but I need to find more info on what compiler to use. And then, as I hear him, you just put the bin file on a flash drive, plug that into the printer, and powers up the printer. It seems that the printer knows to look for files on a flash drive is one is plugged in.

Is some of that unique to the use of Visual Studio? The way I understand something like Pronterface is that it connects to the printer in real time. Does that apply to firmware updates as well, or is that dependent on the printer?

Starting to look at the files as well. It looks like the file robin_nano35_cfg.txt is the text version of the configuration file. robin_nano35.bin is the compiled version?

Thanks.

Ron
Visual Studio is the IDE/compiler. it's used for all sorts of things, but one thing it's well set up for it compiling Marlin.

If you haven't compiled Marlin before I wouldn't start with this modification. I'd start with just poking around the code and getting a feel for it. Usually with marlin (default version), is that there's a configuration.h and configuration_adv.h file with most of the important editable parameters.

This was more an example that dual leadscrews don't have to be a pain. They can be a benefit.