Close

Cool PWS and Stepper motor

Good morning folks from 3dprintboard
    1st of all I'd like to say that this forum has the best antispam check i've seen so far.

I am 17 years old and about a year away from finishing HAVO (higher general secondary education,still not sure if that's equivalent to highschool)and we've got something called PWS,Profiel WerkStuk (it's Dutch but I'll try to explain it in a sec)
    A PWS something in which you and a partner have to do a research on a subject for at least 80 hours but we asked if we could build something instead and they said yes
    We decided to make a 3D printer(also to show you can make whatever you want if you put enough effort into it), 1st we wanted to make a XYZ one but a month back we saw a delta printer which looks for more interesting

I looked up all the parts we needed etc
    but my friend (pws-partner) went to a jumble sale and by coincidence saw 8 stepper motors for 16 euros (21,41 dollars) and bought them of course
    we still don't really know if they're good enough for a delta 3D printer so that's why I am here
    I've made some pictures
    http://i.imgur.com/LVagosg.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/LGU1UHi.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Q5VOwgQ.jpg

We would like to know if they're strong enough to for a delta printer
    Last edited by Xienix; 08-01-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Senior Engineer
    They are nema23 steppers. Most people use nema 17 so if you are planning to print the plastic parts you need then you will struggle to find STL files for those motors. As far as the motor suitability is concerned they will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    They are nema23 steppers. Most people use nema 17 so if you are planning to print the plastic parts you need then you will struggle to find STL files for those motors. As far as the motor suitability is concerned they will be fine.
    different steppers use different STL files? I did not know that
    do you perhaps know where I can find more about that?

Staff Engineer
    What he's talking about is the .stl files to print out the mounts for those motor. No offence meant to Mjolinor, but I'm gonna clarify his statement a bit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    They are nema23 steppers. Most people use nema 17 so if you are planning to print the plastic parts you need for the printer you are building then you will struggle to find STL files for printing the parts you need to mount those motors. As far as the motor suitability is concerned they will be fine.
    Hope this clears things up a bit.
    Last edited by Feign; 08-01-2014 at 07:31 AM.

Senior Engineer
    What he said ^^^

We're not planning to 3D print any parts for our printer, my dad has a ...never mind I forgot the English name, it's basically a 3D printer but instead of printing it removes the material.
    and we're going to make these http://www.keep-art.co.uk/Journal/Build_MDF.jpg with it
    anyways thank you very much
    now the only thing we have to do is to oder everything and wait 20-ish days

Staff Engineer
    Well that clears that up.

And the English word for your dad's machine is a "CNC Mill" by your description. (unless it uses a laser or jet of water... In which case it would be a Laser Cutter or Water Jet Cutter... Because engineers are great about coming up with original names.)

ah that's right, I keep forgetting that name
    I've got one more question
    do you really need a heatbed for your 3D printer?
    Last edited by Xienix; 08-01-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Staff Engineer
    It depends on what material you are using. PLA doesn't usually need it (which is one reason it's so popular), wheras ABS needs it.
    Other plastics may need or not need it completely depending on the plastic in question. I think it was PET that heating up the print bed unsticks the part from it when you're done, for instance, but I could be wrong about that.

The thing about a heated bed is that it can usually be added later if you need it.