Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I don't remember seein a rotating printing table like that before, I wonder what would be the pros and cons compared with a linear table? Of the top of my head I can see it would reduce the footprint of the printer considerably.
    Polar printers all follow the same rules, giving them all the same pros and cons:
    Pros:
    Well suited for a scanner, which they take advantage of.
    Large print volume for very small x-axis travel.
    Smooth printing of circular objects.
    Cons:
    Non-constant speed and resolution between the middle of the plate and the edge.
    More complex math for the firmware to run to convert the Cartesian-based g-code to polar coordinates. (or a custom slicer that generates polar-based g-code)
    Lines passing very near the center require very fast movement of the plate to make a smooth, constant line. (lines actually going through the center cannot keep a constant speed and must pause while the table turns.)

Engineer-in-Training
    First polar printer I've seen outside of the repraps.

Quote Originally Posted by oklok View Post
    SO many 3D printer supplier plopping up, but this is just good for consumers, the more the merrier right?!
    Not only is there more variety, but the BlackSmith Genesis is also different in that it not only uses a rotary platform, but it has a scanning ability as well. Essentially, it's a 3D scanner, printer and copier!

Hey guys, the Indiegogo campaign for Blacksmith is now live. Check it out: http://igg.me/at/blacksmith3d

Engineer-in-Training
    It's a polar printer, but it still prints from the top and not on the side, correct?

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    It's a polar printer, but it still prints from the top and not on the side, correct?
    Yep, still printing from the top. There are not really a whole lot of reasons an FFF printer would print from the side or from the bottom, and a few disadvantages from a heat-transfer perspective.

Engineer-in-Training
    Well it would reduce the overhang problem.

Staff Engineer
    Well, it would if gravity were what causes overhang failures... But it isn't.

What gravity does do is it takes the unstuck extrusion from an overhang failure (or any other failure) away from the hot end, rather than allowing it to build up on the tip and insulate it until something catches fire.

Blacksmith seems to be doing well in their Indiegogo campaign, with their early bird specials @$1200 sold out.
    It comes with a camera for remote monitoring? Interesting if you can hook it up to a remote controlled wall socket and switch it off remotely when it's done.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    Hey guys, the Indiegogo campaign for Blacksmith is now live. Check it out: http://igg.me/at/blacksmith3d
    Yes, they spammed links for it 4 times in 4 separate threads yesterday.. I think we ALL know about it now It does look interesting, but I will never trust something that is on a repeated 5 second Gif animation, show me a good print session from start to at least the first 20-30 layers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast