Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MiniMetalMaker

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    basically any of the modular printers will do this. Why limit yourself to a one trick pony ?

The Mini Metal Maker, with a live second Indiegogo campaign running now for additional funding following a successful first round of crowdfunding at the end of 2013, is here to show just how far 3D printers have come by 3D printing a functional pair of scissors that can cut through paper, cardboard, thread, and more. Their $1,500 3D printer allows for printing of metal-based clay, which does shrink from wet completed print to kiln-fired finished piece, but produces quality objects. Co-founder David Hartkop's functional metal scissors were modeled using LightWave, then broken down via Slic3r, and 3D printed in two symmetrical pieces in about 42 minutes. The Mini Metal Maker can be yours for a $1,500 backing at Indiegogo, or you can get DIY instructions and build files to make your own for just $25. Find out more, including a video, in the full article: http://3dprint.com/53641/3d-printed-metal-scissors/

Below is a photo of the 3D printed metal scissors cutting cardboard:

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, so first of all, hello to you all ;-)

I found this thread but it's been dead for a long time.
    I'm actually quite interested in this Mini Metal Maker, as it seems to be a more cost effective and simpler alternative to the typical 3D metal printing. I was wondering whether any of you have experience with this printer already. Has any of you bought one or built one? Did it work?

It is interesting to be informed of 3Dprinting developments and a lot gets published here.

However, some of these articles are more wishful thinking than hard facts : several prototypes and startups never make it to full fledged businesses. Indiegogo projects in particular have an exceptionnally high rate of failure.

No matter however, the important part here is the clay, not the printer itself. If you are interested, you can make your own clay extruder, there are a lot of open source resources out there, for instance Printrbot posted one and I think I've seen a kit on imakr

The clay however will be costly since we are talking specialty jewelry. Also firing the clay may prove frustrating if you have no experience on how to prevent deformations during that phase. Plus, you need a kiln. Overall, you're probably better off going to shapeways or sculpteo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123