Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MiniMetalMaker

Engineer
    I am personally extremely excited to see this printer go into production. I always wanted a metal 3D Printer, but can't come close to affording any of the printers currently out there. MiniMetalMaker could be the first of what's hopefully a string of cheaper metal printers. I wonder when the big boys like Makerbot and Cubify will make a Metal printing line.

I really think people need to research the process and abilities of metal clays, before they spend their money. This is great for making jewelry, trinkets, and possibly toys, but it will not make any thing close to precision.

Banned
    Vanguard.... I assume that it will also not have the strength of an object made by a high quality laser sintering 3D Printer. Am I correct? So this is basically a printer that works kind of like any filament printer, but with a clay like metal substance? Is this correct? I am not at all familiar with this segment of the market....

Usually you get what you pay for. This is priced rather low for a metal printer. It's going to be awesome for jewelry and such, but as for working gears, and things that require stronger metal, I'm not so sure about that.

The strength of the finished product is not in question, it is a METAL object, it has the strength of a old fashioned type sintered metal, in that it is some what porous, it is lighter that an object of the same design that was machined or cast, because it has tiny holes in it. The problems with precision arise from the shrinkage, it is a best guess for shrinkage. The shrinkage is not consistent throughout the part, making it impossible to predict.

The cost of materials is quite high, it is generally sold per gram. The process is long and involved, including a burn out stage, with special carbon, which again adds to the cost.

To understand this technology a person should search PMC, or precious metal clay, it is used in jewelry to make some VERY beautiful items. The shrinkage is a bonus for jewelry making, since an object can be made larger than it finishes at.

This technology has been investigated thoroughly by engineers as a way to make metal objects, you can make some nice non-ferrous items, but not steel, iron, or anything stronger than bronze. That's alright, bronze is strong enough for many gears, but you cannot get consistent results. You cannot print aluminum. Lost wax casting is MUCH simpler, takes less expense, less equipment, and is less costly. There are already machines for doing this type of thing available in the jewelry making arena. If it was of much use, it would be in use, this is not much more than a way for somebody to get some of your money.

This is up to over $20K with about 3 weeks remaining. I'm glad to see it has been funded. I'm seriously considering backing it on Indiegogo.

Big news guys, the company has just launched a new Indiegogo campaign for this printer. $2,100. Looks pretty good in my opinion. What are your thoughts?
    http://3dprint.com/48292/mini-metal-maker-3d-print/

... Too bad they went to Indiegogo if they are serious. I can't abide IG anymore : I thought they were sloppy but no they just actively don't care.

Add bford903 on Facebook
    So it extrudes metal clay? I'll be interested to see how much shrinkage there is during firing.

PMC (Precious Metal Clay) can shrink up to 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by bford903 View Post
    So it extrudes metal clay? I'll be interested to see how much shrinkage there is during firing.

PMC (Precious Metal Clay) can shrink up to 50%.

This should be exactly that. It's just pmc. with some base metal versions thrown in as well. all of the limitations of pmc apply here, as would all of the benefits. However, by making thicker parts hollow with a support mesh, (assuming the printer can handle that) we could get more consistent shrinkage I would expect. if the cross sections consistent enough, then it would be more even then usual PMC work.

Still intriguing for the idea of jewelry use, but for those who don't already have a kiln on hand, the need for buying a kiln is a downside. (buying, then setting it up, venting it, learning how to use it to fire etc) High cost and logistics for a DIYer at home, but useful for a jeweler who is used to working with PMC. I'm personally hoping that moldlay filament works well for lost wax casting instead. (will be trying it when both my filament shows up, and my rapide lite printer shows up)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast