Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Google Sketchup A Viable Design Platform To Print 3D Models? Printer Features?

So I just got into the 3D printing scene, and was interested in learning as much I can about this new (to me at least) technology. I had a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer for me...

First things first, the design program that I'm best at is Google Sketchup, and even then, I'd say I'm no expert at it. Is the typical 3D printer compatible with models built in google sketchup?

Secondly, what are the best printers that are noob friendly. I know my way around computers and electronics, but the easier and less of a learning curve a 3D printer has the better. So what are the best beginner friendly 3D printers on the market?

Is there a tell all source for learning the ins and outs of 3D printers. I've toyed with the idea of building my own using some open sourced hardware design plans as I've built industrial control panels and computers from scratch before. Would I be out of my league in this case? If not, is there an open source design plan for a 3D printer that you guys recommend?

Lastly, is there a good newbie beginner course or book that you guys recommend to learn about 3D printers?

Thanks,

Jeff

Engineer
    Do yourself a favor and learn something other than sketchup. Sketchup is a surface modeler not a solid modeler. While you can export in an stl format from it, the models usually have problem. Learn rhino or one of the other more professional modeling programs out there.

Staff Engineer
    I do wish there was a "mesh fixer" plugin for Sketchup, because I love the program for general-purpose modelling. I've personally been bouncing around all kinds of different software packages, Wings 3D seems pretty good for how lightweight it is (one of my favorite things about Sketchup. I've recently been messing around with Meshmixer as well and it actually seems to be pretty good at doing exactly what it says on the tin.

I'm considering trying the Autodesk 123D Design package too, but the "Get Pro" buttons all over the pages for it make me a bit skittish... Anyone know if the 123D packages are complete in their free form, or do they hold all the good features behind a pay wall?

As already noted Sketch Up is a surface modeler which leaves the inside of the model empty " not a solid " confusing the model slicer and printer.
    Sketch Up requires a third party " plug in " to export a .stl file and there are a few different developers working on this task so it's entirely possible there is a version that makes a solid from the original model.
    123D is very good at making a printable solid. The functionality in the free version is complete. You don't need to buy the pro version.
    TinkerCad also makes a good printable solid model.
    FreeCad is the most like the CAD software used in a commercial environment and has a great mesh analysis tool.

Other helpful software
    Netfabb, MeshMixer, MeshLab

You can easily survive with Sketchup with the right plugins.I'm using Susolid plugin for checking and fixing all non solids and other issues.Then simply export the stl file with the STL plugin.
    For me it is a mature workflow for 2 years now .

Great tip ! THX

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquilio View Post
    You can easily survive with Sketchup with the right plugins.I'm using Susolid plugin for checking and fixing all non solids and other issues.Then simply export the stl file with the STL plugin.
    For me it is a mature workflow for 2 years now .

Thanks for the tips guys!

What about affordable 3D printers? What starter 3D printer produces the best combination of size, accuracy, and affordability for less than $1,000?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    Do yourself a favor and learn something other than sketchup. Sketchup is a surface modeler not a solid modeler. While you can export in an stl format from it, the models usually have problem. Learn rhino or one of the other more professional modeling programs out there.
    Have to agree with this one, plugins help you export for print more readily, but that doesn't fix its shortcomings, I can do something in blender in 1/10th the time of sketchup and im pretty familiar with both.

Quote Originally Posted by jdlev View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys!

What about affordable 3D printers? What starter 3D printer produces the best combination of size, accuracy, and affordability for less than $1,000?
    If you want to spend around $600- $750 for a great machine, get a flashforge, CTC, wanahoe.. basically any of the makerbot 2 clones, great value for money, dual extruders etc.

If I had the money right now, I'd buy an Ultimaker, the prints coming out of that are amazing
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

My 2 cents ...

Printerbot metal does a great job at a great price point, has automatic bed leveling, made in USA is dialed in, ready to go
    Any of the wood frame printers will expand and contract depending on temperature and humidity so accuracy and calibration needs to be checked more often, frame hardware works loose and also needs to be checked often

This recommendation is based on seeing what printers have been purchased lately in our local 3D printing group meetings and from personally owning a Replicator and a Solidoodle

Student
    Hello Friends,
    Great posts. Being a newbie, i have enjoyed the learning. I have downloaded and has started trying out Rhinoceros 3D, TinkerCad, and 123D thanks to your postings. I guess i will settle down to one of them along the way.. A bit nervous though for the starters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast