Close

What's the best printer for small accessories?

I have been collecting original star wars figures from 77-83. lots of them that i got came without accessories (weapons, spears, walking sticks). sometimes buying the accessories would cost more than the actual figures themselves. I was hoping to maybe get a 3d printer to complete my collection. after a week of research of what printer to buy. I am possibly more confused now than when i started. would any of you have any suggestions? I would be printing small items from 20mm to 100mm. I'm not going to spend crazy money either. so something reasonably priced.thanks for taking time to read this. Hopefully you will be able to help me.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Ah you want the £10 ferrari with all the extras.
    We get that a lot :-)

Alas such a printer does not exist.

100mm is quite big.

A cheap resin printer would be your best bet.
    Just be aware that resin prints need post processing (washing in isopropyl alcohol and exposure to uv light) and the resin is not pleasant stuff so gloves are necessary until the resin is fully cured.

But for small detailed parts - resin is the way to go.
    The basic machines are pretty cheap and post processing kit is also fairly cheap and pretty easy to make your self.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEGOO-Phot...8696987&sr=8-5
    Large build volume, cheap as chips and a lot of good reviews.
    We might just have found your £10 ferrari ;-)

Of course the price goes up if you buy the wash & cure station: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEGOO-Merc...863TS839&psc=1

But you can get by with a mason jar or similiar sealed glass container for the wash and a box and cheapish uv illuminator for the curing setup.
    Line the box with tin foil, set the uv illuminator at the top and you should get a pretty even all round cure.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Luckits-Bla...8697367&sr=8-5

If using an actual mason jar - check the rubber seal isn't dissolved by isopropyl alcohol :-)
    I suspect it might be, so the mason jar was just an example, not a definite recommendation :-0)

I suspect your biggest problem is going to be getting 3d model .stl files for the accessories.
    Unless you're a wizard with cad or blender - then, no problem at all.
    Sometimes you can buy 3d models on etsy and similiar platforms.

But most of the time if you want an unusual item for 3d printing, you have to design it yourself.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-11-2021 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks for the reply. I previously watched a youtube review of this printer from Thomas Sanladerer. looks like a good buy. resin seems to be the way to go alright. the 100mm is the length of a staff for one of the figures. so it's only about 3mm thick. so shouldn't be to much work to print. most are around 20mm in length. I have a good few .stl files already that i got for free off the net. I'll have to try source some of the others. if it comes to it i'll have to get CAD out again. I used it in college as part of my course. so hopefully it'll all come back to me. Thanks again for all the info Curious Aardvark. your help is very much appreciated.