Close

How fast does your 3D Pritner Depreciate?

I thought it would be interesting to find out how fast our 3D Printers depreciate. I found the current selling prices for a couple printers on Ebay and calculated the rate of depreciation for those printers http://3dprintertips.blogspot.com/

Depreciation of 3D Printers3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aprzy15; 07-26-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by aprzy15 View Post
    I thought it would be interesting to find out how fast our 3D Printers depreciate. I found the current selling prices for a couple printers on Ebay and calculated the rate of depreciation for those printers http://3dprintertips.blogspot.com/

Depreciation of 3D Printers3.jpg
    and the figures come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    and the figures come from?

You can figures yourself. I found the release date and the selling prices for these printers when they were brand new, and compared those prices with what these printers are selling for today on ebay. The numbers are approximate because ebay selling prices do fluctuate, but overall the chart gives a fairly good idea of how fast 3D Printers depreciate.

Yeah but... My printer keeps printing cool new parts for itself in its quest to be a better printer. How does that factor into your charts?

I didn't think about that, but I would think it wouldn't add much to your printers value. Why would someone buy a printer with printed upgrades, when they can buy the stock printer for less and print the upgrades themselves?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I didn't think about that, but I would think it wouldn't add much to your printers value. Why would someone buy a printer with printed upgrades, when they can buy the stock printer for less and print the upgrades themselves?
    I asked you where the figures came from and the answer I received was "You can figures yourself." No, not really.

People don't buy printers with upgraded parts, you missed he point. The point was these machines are perpetual. They have the ability TO create their own parts, so how can a machine that can constantly keep ITSELF on top of technology be depreciated?

Ok, you run a 3D printing blog, we get it.
    But if you are going to try and use fancy words you should at least do a spell check before you make them into a big picture image...

Last edited by Geoff; 07-27-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Yeah but... My printer keeps printing cool new parts for itself in its quest to be a better printer. How does that factor into your charts?
    I'm guessing RepRaps don't quite factor into this the same way, as a "new RepRap" is bought as a kit of parts and a "Used RepRap" is almost certainly assembled, adding value immediately.

Also, I have a feeling that RepRappers have more of a tendency to "run it till the wheels fall off", making them unsaleable after that... (and then possibly figure out a way to run them some more after that.)

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Print new wheels....

This statement highlights the OP's lack of understanding of the entire 3D Printing Marketplace. " Why would someone buy a printer with printed upgrades" ? Seriously?
    Learning your printer well enough to fully understand its capabilties and limitations takes months of effort. To then source or design the required upgrades takes more time and/or more money but it results in a printer with capabilities far beyond what came in the original box. Roxy's upgraded and improved printer would be very attractive to a beginner wanting a bit of a head start. My printer is infinately more capable now than when I bought it, the diferences are enormous.

What's with the multi-colour background to the Blog page that makes the text unreadable?
    I hate Blogs written by people with only enough knowledge to highlight their lack of knowledge.
    Where did all the Age and Education data come from? I certainly didn't fill in any forms when I purchased my printer.
    Last edited by 3D OZ; 07-29-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Print new wheels....
    It was an old saying, not literal... By "wheels" in this case I mean stepper motors and electronics. Those things a reprap can't print yet.