Close

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    - What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    The most interesting thing I have seen done with 3D printing technology has to be titanium face implants for replacing deformed bones done by Layerwise. What something less 'special' but still something that really peeks my interest is all the art/statues created with 3D printing that can ONLY be created with 3D printing! Moving and interlocking parts, weird surfaces shapes, etc.. if you can think of it; you can print it.

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    The printhead should move like a 5-axis CNC machine! That way you can build parts by moving the head in 'hollow motions' to really allow for the best buildup of the part.
    Having a 5-axis head will also allow for an easy transition in giving the printer milling functions too.
    AND having a 5-axis printhead in combination with a scanner will allow you to print material ON TOP of an existing part! Have any broken parts? No problem; place them on the printer, scan, adjust model, print. Have no idea what the practical functions of this could be... but somebody will have a purpose for it.

Also; there should be way more sensors in this 3D printer; it should read every part of the proces; every bit of heat in the part so that it can adjust the speed and temperature on the fly to allow to have a completely fully automated process. Basically, the printer should really be just click and print - no failed prints!

Furthermore; options like different colors in a inkjet-printer kind of way. One head that mixes the colors on the fly to create full color models.

Technician
    Add Zulfe on Thingiverse
    Q: What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    A: The most interesting thing I have seen done with 3D printing technology is the creation of fully operational synthetic hearts. This amazing feat may very well be the beginning of an era in which we will see 3D printed organs be used in lieu of donated ones.

Q: If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    A: If I could build my dream 3D printer, I would first slap on E3D's Kraken, because that monster is ridiculous. I would integrate a custom RAMBo board to accommodate the Kraken, then use dual X and Y axes to position it, as it seems the high-end printers use the same system. I've found that on my MakerFarm Prusa i3v the wheel/extrusion setup is actually more smooth and quiet than the linear bearing/smoothrod version, therefore I'd try and use that system to make it quiet. Finally, I'd make a huge print volume, because who doesn't love that?

- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    What I've actually seen and done : 3D printing a rose in wax and then having it made in aluminium.
    What I've read about : the ROBOhand project, the printing of training aids for surgeons.
    - If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    It would be able to use a wide variety of materials, basically creating functional objects in plastics, glass, ceramics and metals of a cubic. It would be able to integrate components into the build. The printer would integrate whatever post processing is required and protect the user from potential hazardous byproducts.
    It would come with a comprehensive software that would support all phases from design to end of manufacture. This software would include engineering advising support to ensure all process limitations are respected.

The most I interesting thing I have seen printed are bionic hands & also body organs. These will transform medicine forever.

If I could build my own printer I'd arrange for the filament to be interchangeable so that new products or printing material to the market could be added with ease, wifi capable, stop/start at the touch of a finger, expandable so you can print larger items if required, sd card accessible, works as a scanner as well as a printer, images of your own can be added & printed once converted to a suitable format.

I thought customized breathable and washable casts were one of the neatest uses. It seems like it has potential to help a lot of people in less developed countries where traditional casts might not be kept dry well.
    I would like to see a 3d printer capable of basic circuitry. It would be nice to be able to buy hardware as a cheap schematic and forgo the throwaway packaging and manuals.

Student
    Follow zsparsons On Twitter
    I happened onto this site at the perfect time! Wow...talk about one heck of a contest! Sign my Noobness up!

I have been continually impressed with what is being done with 3D printing from the techniques that are being printed with steal and resin and then baked in metal dust (and absorbing it into the print making it effectively solid metal), reproductions of priceless museum items so that the exhibits can endure and continue to inspire, all the way to concrete printing providing homes. If it can be imagined, it can likely be printed.
    Personally, I've had no direct experience with a printer as of yet!
    I'm part of an upstart studio and we're starting out second film short next month. I was literally just showing our directer a youtube vid about an effects house that uses 3d printing heavily in production for prototyping and their maquettes. What used to take all week could literally be done in a day. What an incredible boon it would be to win one!

Not having any direct experience with them (yet), I don't know what could be feasible or not! Hmmm...I've noticed most of the units I've seen have an arm that goes across the printable area which holds the printing head. I'd like to see one with no vertical ceiling so that if someone had a tall piece they need printed, it would require less pieces. After watching a unit print out a mummy for the Egyptian museum....well yeah, I'd love a commercial unit so I would REALLY go crazy with projects. I've got a modernized design of Maria from the old silent film Metropolis I would print in a heartbeat if I could do it in less pieces! Most of all it's a size thing. My perfect printer would be larger but more affordable. I could wait, but I have too much stuff I want to print! lol
    If the video interview interests you, checkout...
    "http://youtu.be/8RQpHzoa4j0"

Thank you to all the prize contributors!! Good luck everyone!

Retweeted:
    https://twitter.com/3DPrintBoard/status/506859425970532352
    Shared. Facebook post as well...

Hi all,

Even though I have owned my 3D Printer for 1 1/2 years now, my own prints amaze me. Every new print is getting better and better. I find it quite interesting to see just a simple 3d Printer like the Prusa Mendel make the things it does.
    Also, I find the new printers, de 3d printer pen and all new and innovative products very interesting.

Furthermore, I visited Shapeways in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, to see their high quality 3D Printers, which was fasinating.

My dream 3D Printer would print Wireless, with a camera, without oozing, at high-high speed, in high quality, in multiple materials and colours (at the same time!), with a big build plate for large objects, with removable support material, and it includes a 3D Scanner. But very important: at a low price, so a student like me can affort it.

Kind regards,
    Natascha Verhagen

Owner Prusa Mendel with more that 20 Colours
    2014-08-28 22.04.29 kopie.jpgColoursamples.jpg
    Last edited by nsverhagen; 09-03-2014 at 09:29 AM.

My Reply

The coolest / most interesting thing I have seen in 3D printing, are the huge printers such as the BigRep, the size is huge! I think these will be interesting printers in the future, considering that the prints take so much time, however I still think these will be bought because of the price, same size but much cheaper than a big SLS machine, but the drawback being, resolution.

If I could design anything I will build a portable fff machine that also had capability to do DLP printing, bt just attaching a DLP projector underneath the printer. It would also have resin storage and filament storage inside the printer.

Thank you!
    Michael

What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

I think the most interesting thing done with a 3D printer is the 3D printed cement castle. I'm sure many people have seen it by now, but someone in the Midwest designed a cement 3D printer and printed a castle in his backyard as a proof of concept. It looks amazing! He plans to use his printer to build a house soon. Can't wait to see how he deals with multiple floors, wall design, electrical, etc.

If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

I'm currently building my own reprap. It will have plenty of cool features but for my "dream 3D printer" I'll expand on it a little.
    - 4 extruders : definitely needs to be able to print multiple materials at once, not just plastic but other materials as well (aka metal compatible for the future)
    - completely sealed outer shell: keeps the temperature consistent, no drafts...
    - air filtrations system: filter out any harmful gasses emitted from materials used (got noxious yesterday after printing with ABS for a while)
    - auto leveling feature - preprint adjustments to bed and extruder and annoying
    - auto wipe feature: removes oozing filament in between uses
    - autonomous start: press start and the printer takes care of the rest, calibration, leveling...
    - very large build volume: larger than one foot cubed
    - wifi enabled: start/monitor prints remotely
    - very consistent sub 100 micron resolution
    - sturdy design: must travel well
    - LCD display and SD card compatible
    - removal walls for easy access for maintenance

think that's a good list for now

-Brian

Here's my entry:

Q: What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    A: The most interesting thing I have seen done with 3D printing technology would defenitely be the development of fully functional prosthetic limbs and organs. To me, the concept of designing somebody a new heart or a new leg and then printing it out for them is fascinating, and I believe that this could truly impact the future of the medical industry.

Q: If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do?
    A: My dream 3D printer would include the ability to switch between various materials to print with. So instead of printing everything in plastics, you'd have the option to print in metal, or maybe a softer, more rubber-like plastic. It would also utilize three nozzles to enable it to print in three different colors.

So there are my ideas, best of luck to everybody!

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast