Close

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology? I saw GE print a model jet engine
    - If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild! I would love to have a 3d printer that allows for different materials such as metal, and plastic to be printed at the same time. I woudl also love to be able to print multi objects at one time. for easy Assembly. I would love to be able to print cirtuit boards using the muilt layers of differrnt building materials.

- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    Just this past week, I heard about the 3D printed car done here in Chicago at IMTS 2014. I heard about this from my dad, who is far from a techie. Although still using some major conventional parts, such as drivetrain, 3D printing of the frame and body of the Local Motors Strati is a huge step in bringing awareness to the average person of the technology. As more conversations are held about this, even more people, particularly youth, will be intrigued and bring their own talents and insights to bear on the future of the industry.

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    A couple of ideas come to mind for a "dream" 3D printer. First would be the ability to use multiple materials in a single 3D printer. This could enable even more parts from the previous Strati example to printed instead of using conventional manufacturing. Next would be the ability to scale the printer. Perhaps starting out with a small budget, one starts with a desktop system, and later upgrades into a larger cabinet and tray while using much of the original system.

- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology? I find the medical applications to be amazing. I saw that they scanned a person's broken arm and 3d print a cast that fit perfectly, and had air holes in it so that the skin could breathe under the cast. Of course I imagine that you would have tan lines like a giraffe when they took it off. Also I saw that they were printing with skin cells. The idea that skin grafts could become a thing of the past is exciting!

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    I would love to see a printer combined with several tools such a scanner. I think that really that is the last real step to making 3D printers usable to a large customer base. If it were to work like a copier, where it could scan an object then print it with no coding or advanced knowledge required, then you would see them sold in office equipment stores.

Student
    Follow yoman258 On Twitter Add yoman258 on Facebook
    - What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

The most interesting thing I have seen a 3D printer used for is printing a 3D rocket part with integrated harness to hold custom electronics safely and securely during flight.

I would love for a 3D printer to print in multiple materials and integrate them into the same print job for more diverse and optimal designs. Even better, I would love a machine with multiple components so you could CNC and print all within the same design file.

I recently I found technology printed which creates distilled water.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCYmw2x1v-c I think that is an incredible use of technology to have clean water. I also like the technology that identifies when water is contaminated (3-D printed device to be used in water sources).

Well, i would love it if the printers could make robotics, the structure, the circuitry, everything. These robotics would be great if they could be attached and used for 3-d printing as well.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    Markus kayser's solar powered sintering machine. Uses solar power for the electrics and a giant fresnel lens to focus the sun to melt sand into glass.

So once you've got the machine all you need is sun and sand to produce a lot of very useful items. Would be brilliant in refugee camps in the middle east & africa.

Well it would include a 3d scanner that could scan the interior and exterior of an object and duplicate the different materials. The printer would be multi material and capable of printing both circuitry and super capacitors (should replace standard batteries fairly soon) . essentially it would be able to make an exact copy of just about anything. From a television down to a plastic spoon. Oled technology is printable - so you would even be able to add screens to things.
    And the technology is nearly there :-)

What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

Aside from the Prosthetics, I have to say the Strati 3D printed car just printed over this past weekend http://www.gizmag.com/local-motors-strati-imts/33846/

If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

Controllable features from my phone on the fly. I would love to just look at my phone from a mile away and micro-manage everything if need be. All doable now, through a mess of 3rd party software and a camera, but no way is it a simple process.

2 things that have impressed me the most this year are the possibility to use real tissue to print human organs alltough further research has to be done. Another thing that has given me a 'The sky is the limit' feeling about 3d printing is the ability to print a house WOW!

I allready see a tendency to combine multiple machines in 1 machine. Recently 3d printers that can easily be turned into an CNC machine have come to my attention. This will be the future. An allround machine that can 3d print, CNC machine, food-printing, even printable batteries are under research as whe speak! All of these machines in 1 would be awesome.

I think the most amazing things being done is the enormous amount of uses that it has, from printing bio materials to build functional body parts to designing casts or prosthetic limbs. There are houses being built by 3d printing, toys, models, robotics, the applications and uses are endless!

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do?

I guess I would want it to have the ability to print through different nozzle sizes so that it could apply the best of detail from large to small areas while still being able to build a strong sturdy print. Heated and cooling printing bed and a print area large enough to print a helmet.

re-tweeted, liked, and shared...

Lightbulb

My own use will be, and favorite stuff I've seen, is maker kind of stuff like electronics and small machines. Power generators, custom motors, etc. I have so many ideas for things like this and am so limited by what is available and costs for pre-manufactured parts. Other things I think are cool: I saw someone print an entire full size working car, awesome. Also saw someone print a 3D printer with a 3D printer to give to people in need over seas. And houses?! Dang, this is getting interesting, the possibilities are endless!!!

Multiple extruders, nosile sizes, and materials (Metals, ceramics, conductive circuit material, etc.) in one machine. Painting as well. And unlimited build size (Limited only to available physical space and materials). Well lets go all out here; 3D print clones of people. (With intact memory and all)

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast