Close

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Will I get an email when this madness is over?

There isn't much point trying to read the forum at the moment for the two or three posts per hundred that are interesting. I think that competitions like this are the easiest way to kill a good forum that there is. People stop coming and then find somewhere else to hang out and once the crap stops being posted it just dies. I have seen it happen with so many other forums, they become ghosts when the competitions stop because the people that have interesting things to say have stopped coming.
    I have lost track of what I have entered and what I haven't.. I feel for the person that is going to have to compile all this information! The comp is open for several months too, and the only downside is as you said above, many will sign up, will enter into all the comps and never show up again

- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    Man printing a 3d concrete castle using a homemade printer - http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/man-3d-prin...vented-1459223

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    Multiple heads each threaded with different color or material allowing for more complex prints in single run with a 3d scanner attached to take scan, manipulate, & print.

- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    Models of fetuses made from ultrasound images are amazing. Having one of them would be way cooler than that pair of plaster filled baby shoes that my parents had made.

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    It would be able to grind up recyclable plastic and add colors. It would have multiple easily changeable heads and a couple of built in cameras for time lapse video. It would be a seven foot tall Delta-bot type with a build plate large enough to print life size models of people and pets.

A new technique for 3D printing of large objects and homes > http://3dprint.com/6340/minibuilders-3d-print-robots/

It wa salready written, but 3D printer + 3D scanner in one would be nice. And naturally a 3D printer that is able to use recycled plastic pellets.

Layerwise's 3D printed lower jaw. TMJ is super common(I have a bit of it), and for those that have bigger issues, it would be great to be able to "easily" replace the joint.

After designing and building my own 3D printer, it has become quite clear to me what features I would make sure to work in to the next printer I build. Those are a heated chamber, an E3d Kraken, and a much larger build platform. Anything after that would be more than just a hobby. haha I want to build a Metal Laser Sintering printer!

Student
    Add eades850 on Google+ Add eades850 on Thingiverse
    The advances made in medical uses of 3d printing for prosthetics and also as implantable devices for cosmetic/reconstructive surgery

In my case it isn't so much wild imagination as it is a planned goal to be obtained.
    It would have an all metal Quad hot end setup capable of printing high temp exotics with water soluble supports.
    A build volume of 1 cubic Meter
    An enclosed, temp controlled build chamber and heated bed with forced fume venting.
    A fire sense/Halon supression system using a Shunt trip power disconnect.
    webcam monitoring system with chamber LED lighting using a 12" tablet dedicated to the printer.
    With a long life of widely ranging experiences and hobbies the uses to which I would put the printer range from custom parts for motorcycles and restoration pieces for classic sports cars to parts with embedded electronics and inventions I have been working on for decades. The printer will allow me to stop using the "Epoxy cast and Mill" technique which is extremely time consuming and not always the best option and too often limited in it's capability.
    Last edited by eades850; 09-06-2014 at 07:05 AM.

3D Printing used by fashion designers fascinates me.
    Fashion Art can be seen here: http://3dprint.com/13120/3d-print-fashion-show/
    also here : http://3dprint.com/12682/3d-printing-fashion/
    & here : http://3dprint.com/12388/ultimaker-xyz-workshop/
    A dream 3D printer for me would have a big closed chamber with fume extraction, build volume of 60X60X60 cm, auto-leveling, Heated bed, 2 nozzles, integrated camera and wi-fi connectivity.

Student

I'd love to win this! (And donate one of mine!)

I love some of the newer materials being used in Aerospace. Someone was experimenting with titanium powder to replace difficult to produce castings.

My dream printer would be some form of portable garage-sized powder printer which would automatically switch materials when the drawing called for it.

Then, of course, I'd get some huge charity to buy about 100 of them and take them to impoverished nations so the homeless would have shelter.

The most interesting thing I have read about is a 3-D printed kidney. It is amazing to think that people may no longer have to wait for an organ transplant. My students created 3-D solutions for a problem solving activity last spring. I have never seen them work so hard on their 3-D designs.

My dream printer would have 6 or 8 extruders that could print different models in different colors all at the same time. I have 150 students during a semester. It is very difficult to print something for each student even though my printer runs all day long. I need a really fast printer! My second choice would be smaller low cost printers that could print really fast. Then I could afford to have a bunch of them! It is difficult to motivate students when it may be weeks before I am able to print their design.

Student
    -What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    The dress done with the 3doodler is awesome. I find it very interesting when someone is able to take something simple as the 3doodler and create something so amazing.

My dream printer would be able to print at any size, with any material, and in an instance, but this seems very unrealistic. I'll settle for multiple extrudes over my current printer though.

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast