Close

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
    What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    NASA is sending 3d printer to space thats its importance....also using it for prototyping in multiple fields

If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    it should have different resolutions heads for quick and high quality printing

My Entry

- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

The wrench (ratcheting socket driver) printed on the International Space Station. Interesting because is seems like the infancy of "transporter" technology. Also interesting because is sort of represents a full circle of aerospace level tech of rapid protyping going to commercial going back to aerospace.

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

My dream 3D printer would use anything as raw material; break it down to electrons, protons, and neutrons or their energy; reassemble them into the requisite elements and compounds; and be in the form of an autonomous robot able to move in 3D in order to not be limited in the size of the 3D printed object. It would have nearly unlimited 3D printing capability. Energy required could be derived in part from the fission and fusion required to transmute the raw material and some additional to make the process happen. 3D print anything from homeless shelters to food to replacement body parts to planets.

- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    I love all the solutions for improving the world. From prothesis to human organs, I believe 3D printing is the future. I also am in awe of the water sanitation devices that can be developed, and a ring to help the blind read.

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

It would provide basic necessities for living. It could be water, food, print a bed, some sheets, a shower. It would give everyone the same start to life, and put everyone on the same level.

Student
    I would like to enter this contest:

-The most amazing 3D print I have ever seen was the printing of a yearbook for blind high school students. The pictures of students were 3D printed as scale figures for these visually impaired students so they could save their high school memories. This is the most heartwarming 3D printing-inspired story I have hear thus far.

-My dream 3D printer would be able to print in any medium possible. Also, it would use multiple extruders to increase the printing rate. It would also have arms to act a movable struts to facilitate printing at angles.

1) The most interesting thing i have printed is another printer, im working on an all printed 3d printer design, obviously motors, rails, electronics etc wont be printed. But the bulk of the printers structure is printed. Its hard work, but i hope to be completed in a few weeks.

20141212_082517.jpg

2) what features would i like in a dream printer.
    a) large bed, something around 300x300mm
    b) fast, 32 bit controller, good strong mechanics, high power motors, eeprom and plenty of flash and ram.
    c) print spooler, wifi and ethernet built in, print to local spool file. No pauses in printing whilst buffering usb, sdcard or usb stick support. Usb stick preffered
    d) strong PSU, 600W, fast heating heat bed, dual extruder, but latching mechanism to raise unused extruder when not in use. Stops unused nozzle dragging on prints.
    e) fully enclosed printarea, to minimise drafts when printing and keep thermal environment inside print space consistent.
    f) user maintainable, easy access to spare parts and documentation.
    g) full support in software for both Mac OSX and Linux X86_64, not just windows
    h) filament out and width sensors.
    i) closed loop dc motor positioning, not steppers.
    j) low mass printhead
    k) interchangable tool heads for paste, laser, extrusion etc.
    l) saftey cutouts on extruder heaters and heatbed, to prevent thermal runaway.
    m) builtin smoke detector driven from trickle charged battery, which cuts power if tripped.
    Last edited by thawkins; 12-29-2014 at 01:50 AM. Reason: missi g text

• One of the most interesting things that I saw printed are prosthesis and implants, because it can be optimised for each person, to achieve best fit and comfortable wearing. 3D printing biomaterials, such as cells and organs, also looks very promising and could highly improve quality of life.
    • My dream 3d printer would print directly from plastic pellets (or even better: directly from oil or starch), it wouldn’t have a printing head that would move around, but it would have one big “head” across all printing area and would print whole layer at once. That would shorten printing time. Especially with large printing areas.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    CONTEST CLOSED.... Stay tuned for list of winners!

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435