Close

Threaded View

Sub $5k printer with high print tolerances?

Hello,I'm looking for a sub $5k printer with the following features:
    - Tight part tolerance +/-0.005in. I print a mostly mechanical parts, R&D design and engineering. Most parts form assemblies and interface with other components (shafts, machined parts, PCBs, etc...).
    - I print mostly in ABS as I found this to be rigid enough for my applications and can be thread-tapped directly.- Must handle supports well. Either through 2nd extruder or easy to remove support structures.
    - Build volume (8x10x8) or bigger.- Heated bed, enclosed.
    - Minimal maintenance / tuning after initial setup. Tuning and modifying a 3D printer is not a hobby of mine. I need it to perform, and print parts for work.

My previous printers were:Afinia H800/ UpBox:Overall good experience. Accurate parts. Proprietary software is confusing to use beyond the basic settings. Printer a bit too flimsy and parts started breaking after ~3yrs of on/off use.
    The support structures were surprisingly well done. With solid top support layer, undersides of parts were not cosmetically pretty but were not deformed, no sagging or layer separation.

Qidi X-Max:Current printer which was supposed to be a replacement for Afinia.Seems well built, like the dual z-axis motor and 4 z-axis guide rails.After 2 months of tuning I still can't get the prints to come out as well as Afinia.

I've been looking at printers like Raise3D, Intramsys Funmat HT, Makerbot Method, maybe another Afinia...

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcomed.

Thank you.
    Last edited by borisw37; 01-20-2021 at 07:44 PM.