Close

Thread: Ender 3 & PETG

Ender 3 & PETG

Greetings everyone!
    I need some help please, I am trying to print with PETG filament and I cant make it!
    The printer is new, I am noob, I tried to find info on the net, found some profiles for cura,
    tried them but with no luck!
    The first attempt was by far very bad! I managed to get something better in the process but not the
    quality I want! The printing is very very bad and the model to be printed has many open spaces
    between the layers and it is not solid.
    I can print only if I use raft beneath the model, if i print the model directly all I get is strings!
    The bed is the one that comes with the printer and the filament is from Spectrum (polish brand).
    The software i have is cura 4.8.
    The last parameters that worked well but not excellent is:

Extruder Temp 255C
    Bed Temp 110C

The rest of the parameters are what the profile has from the youtuber Technivorous.
    Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thank you.

Engineer-in-Training
    Perhaps I can help? I have recently started to use PETg for a project and must say that I agree with many of the post here recommending it as a material but I did find it was a little more difficult to get stuck to the Print bed than I thought it would be. I am using the Dutch Filaments premium PETG but know the Polish supplier Spectrum ( I love their low warp nylon). I am also using and Ender 3 pro I think the secret with pet is the print bed, I have used glass I found that it was difficult to get adhered put a thin application of PVA glue stick solved that problem. I have also used SRBP -Tufnol (Garalite in the USA) again I needed glue stick of 3Dlac to get first layer adhesion. I also found that it was necessary to make sure the print bed height is correctly set. After that I had no problems.

Setting
    Print temp 250C
    bed 70C
    print speed 70mm/S

PS The part we printed last that way was a pump bracket base 40x60mm ht 45mm we have made about a dozen with no problems.

Good luck

Engineer-in-Training
    PSS I use a skirt for these prints I never use a raft at most for some ABS materials a Brim

Thank you for the precious info! So what about the bed height? I am asking because some say that all it is needed is measure with a plain paper and others say that petg needs something thicker like a business card!
    I tried both and it works a little bit better with the business card thickness!

Engineer-in-Training
    Bed height is important Using paper and card is fine bu ta bit it and miss. since we use our machine almost eevry day and often all day!! we found we needed to be a bit more precise so i bought 3 pieces of thin steel "shim stock" from ebay. they were specified in thousandths' of an inch 0.002" 0.003" 0.004" 0.003 is about the thickness of 80grm printer paper or 0.07mm thick I use this size most of the time but chech the nozzle ht at the point I expect the print to be printed as well as at the corners and adjust the corners if it not within the tolerences of the 3 shims. Another advantage of using the steel shims is that if you turn up the corner so you can hold the you can level your bed while it is hot. The ender 3 bed seems to expand a little unevenly.Also try glue stick it is easiest to apply when the bed is hot

Thank you Gambo!