Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ender 3 Pro and ABS

The printer is stock and I have an enclosure.

Will this printer reliably print ABS as is? I have a spool of Novamaker filament.
    If not, what upgrades, or forget about it on this printer?

I have the magnetic bed. Is there any prep I might need to do? Glue?

What temps work for ABS? I'm seeing 235ºC and 110ºC to start and adjust from there.

What enclosure temps are generated? Is there a limit before things go downhill?

I'm assuming the enclosure port for the power supply should be open a bit to allow PS cooling. A vent to outside will be used.

TIA

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    With an enclosure printing ABS at 232C with the bed set to 96C Have 3D Printer over 2 year now with these settings.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    recommended bed setting is 85c for abs - but as cliff shows - each machine and setup is unique.
    The ideakl bed temp is often the glass temp. So the point that filament begins to soften enough to not shrink from thermal cooling - but not enough to deform under pressure because it's too soft.

The best advice is to simply find something small and useful and print them with different settings.

All we can really do is tell you what works for us.
    We are NOT using your printer, in your enclosure and in your work room.
    (you sure as hell are not using anything in what remotely resembles my work room: warmed up today, a sweltering 15c !)

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to simply print things.
    Approach tempo changes sensibly and above all else DON'T PRINT BENCHIES !

Find something small and useful - I tend to use shopping trolley release keys - and use that for a test file.

A benchy teaches you nothing you can't learn from almost ANY other print.
    So make something you actually want.

My son is designing, and I am printing, Hank the Hexabot. Something he's been designing for quite a few years.
    So far it's all PLA, but some parts might be better in ABS. So we'll give it a go.

One Benchy, one Baby Yoda, and one Garden Gnome was enough.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol you can't go wrong witha baby yoda at the moment :-)

you migh want to look at pet-g, rather than abs,

If it's for 'click together' joints then pet-g is way way better than abs. For everything else pla is going to be better than abs.

Pet-g has a lot more 'give' than abs. It's not as rigid or strong as pla - but it's 'tpugh' so is unlikely to crack if a particular joint is a tight fit.
    And it's pretty easy to print with.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I tend to use shopping trolley release keys - and use that for a test file..
    OK, I must ask, what is a trolly release key?
    In my mind it's a key to release a shopping cart from the rental lines. No?

I'll give pet-g a look. From what I've been reading here, it doesn't appear to be a favorite filament of some.

We want some flex in parts such as the main frame. So far we have the frame, and have finished the first leg sections. I'm printing the second leg sections now. Electronics mounts are next. PLA has been working very well for everything.
    Frame length is 212mm long. This thing is going to be a pretty good sized bot crawling around the floors.

yeah Trolley, think Harry Potter.. cart with wheels, least that is what I imagined as a Yank!

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Axl_Myk View Post
    OK, I must ask, what is a trolly release key?
    We do not have any of these where I live but found this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZpdDch2o4M

Engineer-in-Training
    All ABS's are not equal. We have been printing with ABS for about a Year and have tried 3 different Filaments 2 of which worked well the best was ABS-x from Mitsubishi Chemicals in Holland and sold widely as a own brand in UK by OOznest and 3dfilaprint the next best we found was also made by them. The 3rd filament whos brand name I won't quote was difficult to get to adhere to any surface and when it did stick but after after mm of print height it warped so much that it split along the layer lines.

The other 2 filaments we print on Tufnol (garalite) sheets with a coating of ABS milk (10g of ABS in 100ml Acetone)
    On the simplest (Crudest) of all machines an Ender 3 pro but in an enclosure we routinely print ABS pro and ABS norm. without problems.

our Print setting are slightly different from Aardvark's
    Print 250C
    Initial Layer 245C
    Bed 80C

Print speed 100mm/S

we normally use a skirt

Engineer-in-Training
    PS I agree with Aardvark that PET-G is nicer to prinf and gives better results if you aren't bothered with chemical compatability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast