Close

Prints coming out 'shifted'

Hi all,

I have a flashforge creator x and my prints have started coming out 'shifted'

Any ideas what could cause this? (see attached pics)

Running ABS...single right extruder (never used the second one) with temps of 220. Build plate set at 104. Running .2mm prints with 60ms feed and a 100ms travel. Just changed out kaplon tape and re-leveled build plate with no luck.

Could it be the second extruder dragging along the print and offsetting it? I live in Orlando, FL USA...and it has been an extremely humid summer (could the humidity cause this?).

Thanks all,

-Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by roguesqd; 07-23-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Do you have a spring mounted bed? I've had trouble with 1/2 through the print, the mounting screws with springs around them shifting position.
    Last edited by Roxy; 07-23-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    A long time ago I put little pieces of silicone tubing inside the spring to help keep it centered. It also works as a damping system since the tubing is cut just long enough so it compresses a little.

Go to any hobby shop that does RC cars and they will have medium silicon fuel line for nitro model cars. A foot of it is about $1.

Yes, Roxy, the build plate is the standard three screw spring-mounted type.

Thanks jfkansas...I will give that a try. Would you perchance remember how long you cut the tube pieces to put into the springs?

I contacted flashforge support and they told me it could be a loose belt. I tightened the belt and that had no effect...I still get the same results. The results are a bit different though depending on when I print them out during the day. If it is late afternoon/early evening, they look like the pics attached. If I wait until 9pm at night, they look a bit better...not as shifted/offset.

Any other ideas? Are there other types of build plates other than the standard 3 screw spring mounted for the Creator X?

I appreciate all the help!

I only tightened the belt that goes under the dual head assembly...would there be other areas that I would need to look at for the belts that may need to be tightened

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by roguesqd View Post
    Yes, Roxy, the build plate is the standard three screw spring-mounted type.

Thanks jfkansas...I will give that a try. Would you perchance remember how long you cut the tube pieces to put into the springs?

I contacted flashforge support and they told me it could be a loose belt. I tightened the belt and that had no effect...I still get the same results. The results are a bit different though depending on when I print them out during the day. If it is late afternoon/early evening, they look like the pics attached. If I wait until 9pm at night, they look a bit better...not as shifted/offset.

Any other ideas? Are there other types of build plates other than the standard 3 screw spring mounted for the Creator X?

I appreciate all the help!
    If the belt were loose, you would be seeing similar results all the way up the print, that was my issue anyway on the standard flashforge. I think Roxy's onto it, If your hotbed isnt perfectly level, or it shifts that's pretty much what happens, or your starting height isn't right, but since that's automatic in the flashforge, it looks like an unlevel hotbed.

When you are printing over about 8cm high, the level of that plate becomes even more crucial because when your print gets to that height the heat doesn't travel up the plastic as well and the nozzle is also that much further away from the plate. Your print looks good up until about 80% so i'd prob just go for a level again, and even try different software. Some software will slice differently and create entirely different parameters for the same object, never hurts to try options.

Also... One more place to look. Is the shift happening at about the same height all the time on your prints? If so, I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. One of my Z-Axis pieces had its embedded nut come loose. (Probably from one of the numerous nozzle crashes I had working on some firmware) At certain heights, one side would stick and at other heights it would move too much. That is fixed now, but it can be frustrating as can be when you don't understand what is causing it.

Hi all

I found the problem. It was the small allen bolts in the pulley mount on the right-side for the x-axis. The bolts were extremely loose. I tightened these bolts (and the other pulley bolts) and everything works fine now.

right side of X.jpg

Thanks for all the help!

-Tony