Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

NVPrinter - 1st Automated Build Removal 3D Printer Announced by NVBots

Have you ever had a problem where you wished to print multiple items when you were not at home, but couldn't fit them all on one build platform? A company NVBots has come up with a new 3D printer called the NVPrinter that is completely automated. It allows you to set it to print mulitple items. When one item is finished, the unique system removes the print, puts it aside and then begins the next print. NVBots is targeting businesses and educational institutions with a special leasing program for their printers. These places lease the machines, and if there are every any problem they can have it serviced for free. Also if there are every any upgrades, they will always have the latest technology. NVBots is founded by an MIT grad, who is taking the entire 3D printing model and modifying it in a way that we have never seen before. Read more about NVBots and this new NVPrinter at http://3dprint.com/9430/nvbots-nvprinter-3d-printer/

What do you think? Will this business model work? Do you like the innovative technology behind this automated 3D printer?

The leasing model is basically the same thing the larger pro-class manufacturers offer through their retail dealers -- Stratasys, 3D Systems, Solidscape, etc... As for the blade pushing the printed object off the bed when the print is finished, some kids at UC Berkeley produced the same thing a couple years ago when they put a modified MakerBot into a vending machine system. The MakerBot had a blade that would push the finished prints off the bed, allowing them to slide down into a slot that required an emailed key code to open, so the model could be retrieved. It was called the Dreambox. A similar competitor was released shortly afterward, called the Dream Vendor. I'm not sure either ever achieved heavy market traction.

You said it at the beginning of your article. Genuine innovation is exceedingly rare. Probably the most interesting thing I've seen this year is the MOD-t's pinion-to-plate X/Y bed system, which then appeared a month or two later on a different Kickstarter printer. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to learn neither were the first to do it. It was just the first time I'd seen it.

That being said, if there is one thing I've learned, it's that story subjects are often very willing to say they are the first to have done something, even though they aren't. It's typically a simple mistake. But, sometimes, they know good and well they aren't the first and simply assume the average consumer will never know better.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    Mike, I talked NVBots about this today. They said that the guys as Berkeley did do what you say, however, NVBots demoed their first version before they even became a team. NVBots know the guys at Dreambox. They had a call a while back. NVBots invention was first made in the fall of 2012.
    Hope this clears things up.
    Eddie

Today, NVBOTS has account their new crowdfunding campaign, looking to help bring these 3D printers to schools. Read more at: http://3dprint.com/17977/nvbots-nvprinter-fundable/