Quote Originally Posted by engpro View Post
That makes sense.
So for high quality resulution what are the most important factor. Where is the bottleneck? I understand after reading a little after that 32bit processor is useful to drive the motors much more smoothly and quieter.
I'm trying to understand what makes a good quality printer
More than that. Marlin 2.0 was designed for the 32 bit boards. We are many versions of marlin into 2.x now. We are at 2.0.7.2 today. And marlin 1.1.9 was made a long time ago and does not come with support for the silent drivers and other features that have become common place since. And while we do see people running the newer marlin on the older boards they aren't doing it well because the firmware has grown and it is bigger with more lines of code and more libraries. And the older boards have absolutely no onboard memory and they struggle to run marlin 2.x and then there is the clock cycles, right. I mean how many decisions can you make in a second? the 8 bit boards are lucky to run at 16mhz. The SKR 1.3 and 1.4 run at 100mhz, the SKR 1.4 TURBO runs at 120mhz, and the SKR PRO runs at 168mhz. And I believe the newest addition to the Duet lineup is actually running at 300mhz. These boards power through the more feature packed marlin versions. Once again the best of the 8 bit boards run at a whopping 16mhz. Just saying. Running the silent drivers is good. Being able to get the mainboard to communicate with them while printing is priceless. Because in UART and SPI we can change the forward current in the firmware and we can have the stepper dynamically switch on its own between stealthchop and spreadcycle as the demands of the print change.