Close

3D Printer file type

Do all 3D printers use the same file type? I've herd they all use STL files but just want to know before i start making things to make when i buy a 3D printer. Also if they are all the same file types whats the best program to make them on? Thank you in advance for taking time to answer my question. -PS not sure which printer I'm buying yet.

Engineer
    Almost all cad software will export in stl.

Best program? No right answer to that one.
    One that suits your needs, skill level and budget is a more approriate question and one that is difficult for us to answer.
    Some of the free ones are very good, Blender is extremely popular, Autodesk 123Design is simple to use and a good start for a beginner.
    Mudbox and ZBrush are best for more organic shapes, AutoCad for engineering objects.
    If you are a genuine student you can even get 3D MAX free and that is super powerful, capable of everything but far from simple to use.
    All will do STL.
    Often the best choice is the one your friends are using, that way it is easier to trade tips.

You need to dedicate some time to trying the various options out to see which one you are most confident with and that matches what you plan to create..

STL is used for 3D printing because it is standard and open source.
    But, in engineering it is most often only an export just before printing. It is not a format that records construction tree, product surfaces and edges, ... so it is not easily modified. Most people keep their repository files in the format native to their software : catpart, whatever ... Also if you browse the forums you will see that this format does have its issues.
    I don't know for sure for artists but I guess OBJ format offers more possibilities as well.