Close

HotEnd - CAN IT BE SAVED

Well Guy, Had my first technical issue with my new CR6 SE. Got a new batch of filament (non_branded) so I dried for 24hrs before use, calibrated setup, ran a number of test prints then....... BANG. (not really a bang, more like a uuhhh). First, base level contained a great number of overflow, then base level began to be removed accumulating under the nozzle, a black element appeared in the print out and finally masses of melted filament began to be left over the print area. With allen keys in hand, the disassembly began, the silicon covers had melted and filled with filament. The nozzle unscrewed easily because it was only screwed in half way, once cool the hotend was removed, covered in blackened, melted filament. "Houston...we have a problem"Assuming that the filament was leaching from the loose nozzle, reviewing my test pieces in appears that at @200C the viscosity and flow pressure (100%) created a perfect storm. The entire Hotend, level probe, and silicon covers have been destroyed.Now for the question: should I try salvage the Hotend unit or just bin it.Filament is not that hard to remove, but is it really worth it. Looking at grabbing the PrinterMod tool mounting system, also since I'm at it might even upgrading the Hotend for a Slice Engineering 'Mosquito"Hotend. (when available)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Anything can be saved, the thing you have to ask yourself is it cost effective to spend the time to save it.

Hi Guys, a follow up on my issue with my CR6-SE Hotend. Following numerous inquiries Creality distribution centres in my country do not have any parts for the CR6. So what else can I do but try to save the original part. Well, to my amazement I was able to remove all of the baked on plastic, no real damage to the Hotend. So what really happened, following the clean up I commenced a test piece.... well can you imagine my surprise when the print went completely to shit. Looking at the hotend I noticed build up filament around the nozzle, so out with the tools and what did I realize, buying the original machine thru Kickstarter I took the advantage of the offers purchasing extra nozzles and their Premium nozzle set. Realized that nozzle sizes for the CR6 is a minimal wrench size of 6mm (0.236in) When I referenced a number of instructional videos and reviews I removed the original 0.8 dia nozzle for a 0.4 dia nozzle from the Premium pack, no one referenced the difference between a generic Creality nozzle and the CR6 nozzles. So, I put in one of the Premium nozzle packs 0.4 dia nozzles, I first noticed that the included work spanner wrench did not fit the new nozzle, thinking this was an anominally (7mm) I went to work frustration ensued... long story short replace the nozzle with ONLY CR6 compatible nozzles. Lesson learned
    Attached Images Attached Images