Sure, glad to try to help. Sorry about the funeral.

Sure, whatever you use as a starting point, folded paper, metal gap set, business card, etc., it fine. Just know it's not "one size fits all." You have to evaluate that method used and tweak to perfection. I have a microscope and I look at the bottom layer with it once a print is finished. I look to see that the filament got smashed a bit and all the sides touch and are pushed against each other. If the sides just barely touch then you need more smash so that you get a tight layer. You don't need a microscope, a good hand lens or head lens will work too. I found these little 45x hand microscopes on Amazon for less than $3 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). They are amazingly sharp and help if you don't have anything else. The come from China so it takes a few weeks.

I've learned a lot about my printer and filament by examining a final print with something more powerful than normal eyes.

Here are some microscope shots that help me diagnose and fix prints. The one on the left is what I call a perfect first layer:

MicroscopeShots.jpg