Close

The Best 3D Scanning Apps

Hi All,
    Check out the new blog about 3D photo apps for iPhone and Android by Andrew Sink

Original-AR-and-3D-Printed-Skulls-Qlone-3D-Scanner-App.jpg

Andrew thoroughly reviews TRNIO, Scandy Pro, Qlone and Bellus3D
    (Links to 4 YouTube videos included)

"These are just a few 3D scanning apps that are available on your smartphone, and there are new ones popping up all the time. The launch of the iPhone 12 with a back-facing LiDAR scanner means there are going to be many more scanning apps launched soon, with an emphasis on both 3D meshes as well as making content for AR platforms. It’s a good idea to get familiar and comfortable with 3D scanning apps, because there’s never been a better time to start scanning than right now in 2020!"
    Last edited by Max Funkner; 02-15-2021 at 08:26 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well I suspect that in 2021 there will be abetter time to get into scanning from a phone.
    Also 2022 2023 2024, etc.
    At the moment you need a smartphone that costs upwards of $700

Some of us have more sense and less money :-)

I am considering to buy iPhone 12 because of LiDAR system. But TechRadars' blog on subject not convincing. They wrote it is more for app developers than users at this stage.
    "In the meantime, it's fair to say that the LiDAR scanner on the iPad Pro and iPhone 12 Pro will initially be there to wow developers rather than tech fans."

And yes, photogrammetry is still good and affordable for capturing objects. It is free and very convenient.
    Blog: Photoscan with a Mobile Phone Camera

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    there have been a coupleof supposed addons for phones that either never get rolled out on more than one model or just never get the software support they need.

A few years back the next big thing was going to be intels Realsense.
    That seems to have died an ignoble death.
    I had high hopes for that eventually ending up in a cheapish tablet or phone.
    But seesm to have just vanished from the system.

Lets hope the lidar works - 'cos even at apple's insanely exaggerated prices - if it works, that would be decent price for a GOOD 3d scanner.

And given how blocky the iphone 12 is - you;re not going to buy one for it's looks or because it's comfortable to hold for hours at an end.

so the 12 pro - the one with the lidar is £999, and if you actually want to charge it (does not come with charger) then you're paying over £1000 - for a phone.
    If it doesn't work as a 3d scanner - why would you even contemplate it ?
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-30-2020 at 07:06 AM.

Last edited by Max Funkner; 08-24-2021 at 08:47 AM.

Hey, I was having trouble finding a 3D scanning app on my android phone for some time and I didn't know what to do. I have a close friend that suggested I use another website, like https://www.apkdojo.com/shareit instead of google play, since I could find more apps there and maybe find a 3D scanning app too. I looked at various websites like the one above and after some time I finally found an app that could help me with 3D scanning. I suggest you find similar websites if you are having trouble finding these apps.
    Last edited by MixyGrism; 06-20-2021 at 04:33 PM.

I use 3D Max.

Latest: Apple's Object Capture significantly influenced and will influence 3D scanning apps.
    Here is my latest iOS app review:
    Polycam 3D Scanning App Review – LiDAR vs Photo Mode

Andrew Sink thoroughly tested Revopoint POP - one of the first affordable 3D scanners.
    Last edited by Max Funkner; 08-24-2021 at 09:06 AM.