Close

Engineer-in-Training
    Add jamcultur on Thingiverse

Twisted box - new version

As desired by curious aardvark, here's a new version of my twisted box. The previous version was made by twisting two identically-shaped pieces together. This version has different top and bottom pieces that give it a taller interior space for storage. The exterior of the two versions is identical. The STL files are on Thingiverse:https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4633902
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jamcultur; 10-25-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    cheers dude :-)

printed three of the old style - all at 150mm/s and 50mm height :-)
    I did have to adjust internal walls/dimensions by -0.1mm to get smoothly working boxes with no post processing.

There's something about that shape that refracts the light in a way that layer lines almost vanish.

I'll make a one of the new ones today :-)

Been using up old part rolls of filament lol

Engineer-in-Training
    Cool. I'd love to see pics.

even did both parts at the same time for each box.

they were all printed on my sapphire pro corexy at 0.16 layer height and 150mms speed.
    Both halves of a box were printed at the same time.
    They've all been resized to 50mm height and the rest in proportion.

The first yellowy one was as it came and required a fair bit of sanding to get a smooth fit without jamming.
    The resizing would naturally make the original tolearances that bit smaller and tighter - which i should have remembered for the first one :-)

The next yellow one and the browny/gold one (looks more gold than brown in real life) were printed with horizontal size compensation set to -0.1mm in simplify3d.
    Those two work smooth and easily with no post processing.

Currently doing the new box in black with the same settings as the last two.

The yellowish one is polymaker polymax pla filament and the goldy brown one is reprappro pla - both have been sitting, unbagged, on a shelf in my workshop for at least 4 years :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-28-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Looks good. Yes, scaling it smaller will make the fit tighter. With the smaller size and that fast print speed, it must be very fast to print. I've never had PLA go bad, although I don't think I've had any that long. Good job!
    Last edited by jamcultur; 10-28-2020 at 03:42 PM.

well still takes 3 hours.
    simplify3d 4.1 - is almost exactly an hour out in it's stimation.
    Which i find hard to understand as it generates every command and knows the speed of the printhead and length of each command.

So the slicer says 2hours 12 minutes and the printer takes 3 hours and 9 minutes.
    The screen on the sapphire actually shows current printspeed as well (none of my others do) and 90% when I've looked, is either at 130 or 150mm/s.

all very odd :-)

But the box printed great.
    There's a very slight quality difference between the solid box half and the purely 'arm' half.
    I wouldn;t have though the relative rigidity would make that much difference. But it's noticeable.
    I reckon I could also reduce the compensation to 0.05mm for a tighter fit that doesn't untwist under it's own weight, simply by turning it upside down.

Think I'll do one at 0.3mm next.
    Might work :-)

If you're wondering why the black one is in better focus - the first lot were taken with my £70 2.5 year old phone (which is due to be retired at the end of the month) and the black one pics were taken with an old £800 ipad pro my mate gave me, that I've just started to play with.
    It's a big heavy beast (well all ipads are) but damn the camera is amazing.
    Now if I cna only get the slow motin video to playback in actual slow motion on my computer, rather than just on the ipad - I'll be a very happy bunny :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-29-2020 at 09:55 AM.

lol - I owe simplify3d an apoloogy. Just started the 0.3mm box off. And it turns out that the 3 hours and 9 minutes it took to print at 0.16 was EXACTLY the time s3d said it would take.
    I just read it wrong - oops :-)
    so the 0.3mm should take 2 hours and 12 minutes.

yet another BOMI error (Bifurcated. Organic. Mobile. Interface)

I also set it for 60mm height, instyead of 50 - which explains why it took longer than would be expected for somethintg with almost twice the layer height.

Prints well, obviously visible layers. But fully functioning.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-02-2020 at 09:20 AM.