Close

View Poll Results: What's your preferred Heatbed Surface?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kapton Tape, single / double sided

1 8.33%
  • Blue painters Tape

6 50.00%
  • Glass

1 8.33%
  • Aluminum Bare

0 0%
  • Glass with ABS slurry/ hairspray

3 25.00%
  • Aluminum with kapton ABS slurry/ hairspray

1 8.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH2 View Post
    Is that a question?
    I thought it was a film.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I guess technically it is a film. You could probably argue that all tapes are films with an adhesive applied to one side I guess. Anyway, it comes on a roll and you just use it like any other tape.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    glass with abs.

If, after painting, you wipe the surface with a lint free cloth with a little acetone on it - you can smooth it out quite a lot.

The bits of abs that stick to the print are a pain though.

I'm looking for something that abs (and I suppose pla) sticks to when the surface is hot - but lets the abs go when it's cold.
    Thought kapton tape was supposed to do it - but as far s I can see nothing sticks to it particularly well.

Hairspray - do they do fragrance free hairspray ?
    The idea of my workshop smelling like a womans beauty salon, does not appeal !

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

Hairspray - do they do fragrance free hairspray ?
    I get great results with Aquanet Unscented "Super Extra Hold" that I get at Target. When I first built my printer I did a lot of reading about adhesion and a lot of guys were recommending Aquanet. However, I pretty much use Elmer's Purple Glue Stick for ABS these days. Both work well though on glass at 110C. And, both wash right away in the sink.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH2 View Post
    I get great results with Aquanet Unscented "Super Extra Hold" that I get at Target. When I first built my printer I did a lot of reading about adhesion and a lot of guys were recommending Aquanet. However, I pretty much use Elmer's Purple Glue Stick for ABS these days. Both work well though on glass at 110C. And, both wash right away in the sink.
    I have some wood filament here, not laywoo, another knock off and while it extrudes perfectly, it wont stick. You cool the bed, it just lifts off, you heat it, it does 2 layers and curls... there does not seem to be an in between. Has anyone tried wood filament on glass and is it any better? This stuff will not stick to kapton or blue tape at any temperature. I have tried every setting from hotbed off to hotbed 120c, and ironically the 120c worked better than a non heated bed.

Laywoo never gave me this much problem, but then laywoo is 4x the price i paid for this roll.

any ideas how I can get this bastard filament to stick? Hairspray and kapton didnt work, blue tape didnt work, bare aluminum didnt work.. yellow tape didnt work, ABS slurry didnt work.

you know the only thing it even remotely stucj to was a piece of A4 I stuck to the plate just as a test. I figured if it sticks to paper it should stick to tape, but nah no good.

I have not tried a glue stick... luckily the kids should have some i might give that a go!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    just bought a roll of duck brand blue painters tape. Holy carp it's expensive !But if it works I'm sure I can defintiely get it cheaper. So are there any particular settings I need to use for painter tape ? hotter/cooler bed, etc****For your wood filament, Try 4mm plywood geoff. Or thin sheets of poplar, I believe I read somewhere.***well tried the blue tape last night.same issue raft sticks really well. prints without raft, not a hope in hell. mh calibrations are good. zero head drag and sheet of paper just slides under heads. i went down as low as 20mms, print speed. and it still wouldn't stick. i'll try vinyl next, but i'm pretty sure my main issue is lack of layer control in makerware.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-29-2014 at 03:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12