Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Show me 1. where 3 point auto leveling can be done reliably on a flashforge for $40, and is "plug-in" compatible with the Creator X or Pro and is supportd in firmware... 2. Why would you even want to? Especially if it adds significant weight to the moving mechanisms. Manual leveling works just fine once you learn how.

I have made some mods to my creator x to make this much more reliable though. I added the creator pro metal platform and z axis rods. Incredible difference this makes. I would start there if anything, it isn't a super difficult swap but it does require quite a bit of disassembly. You don't have to take the top rail completely off, but almost.

Lately I have seen suggestions for a new user to try and usually it is way off base or "seen on another printer". These new users can't even get a 20mm square calibration box to print right and people are suggesting to hack up their machine and wire up a bunch of add ons and none of them fix the actual root cause of the problem. Sorry this irritates me. The Flash forge Creator X is 90% fine just the way it is. Learn to use it and it creates incredible parts. The other 10% is updating to the newer platform and (if you don't use 2 extruders at the same time) removing one (left) stepper, related wiring, and print head.

Using this setup I have had good results printing as fast as 120mm/s on larger parts. Huge increase in speed over the 60-80mm/s you are limited to with the heavier dual heads.
    Last edited by jfkansas; 07-20-2014 at 12:22 AM.

Follow lucidpsykosis On Twitter Add lucidpsykosis on Thingiverse
    I wholeheartedly appreciate all your suggestions and help. I have been considering removing the left extruder, but not sure how to do it though.

Super Moderator
    It really isn't difficult, but removing it doesn't fix the root cause of your issues. I am betting on 2 things. 1. When the build plate is heated the front sags and is too far away from the extruder. Fix, you need to fully heat the build plate and then level all three screws. 2. you need a front cover for the machine to block airflow through the machine (For ABS only though). It is easy to make. Just need a 10"x15" piece of plexi from the hardware store and some 3m clips to hold it on. Total cost is about 10-15 bux.

For future upgrade I would get the Creator Pro platform upgrade. Totally worth it.

I'll try the first two points tomorrow...thanks

Today I started with a new roll of Black PET+ filament that I got in the mail. Heated the plate and leveled it the best I could. I was able to print a piece that turned out remarkably well. When I then tried to print another piece, it started messing up halfway through the first layer. I remembered a video I watched from an engineer who rough leveled his plate with a depth micrometer, then printed a .1mm thick print and adjusted the corners as he went...I tried that (minus the depth mic) and got it dialed in pretty good. The only downside is, my print has marks on the bottom from all the little tears in the Kapton tape. When my glass gets delivered, I should be good to go I think. BTW, how to I compensate for the glass thickness (1/8) so it doesn't shatter when the extruders come down?

Geoff, you were right about the painters tape...I don't like the finish either.

Quote Originally Posted by lucidpsykosis View Post
    Today I started with a new roll of Black PET+ filament that I got in the mail. Heated the plate and leveled it the best I could. I was able to print a piece that turned out remarkably well. When I then tried to print another piece, it started messing up halfway through the first layer. I remembered a video I watched from an engineer who rough leveled his plate with a depth micrometer, then printed a .1mm thick print and adjusted the corners as he went...I tried that (minus the depth mic) and got it dialed in pretty good. The only downside is, my print has marks on the bottom from all the little tears in the Kapton tape. When my glass gets delivered, I should be good to go I think. BTW, how to I compensate for the glass thickness (1/8) so it doesn't shatter when the extruders come down?

Download and print a Creator X Z-axis offset. Rest it on the the build platform support behind the build plate and you're good to go! Double check that the height of the Z-axis shim is the same as the thickness of the glass.

If you want to print with ultra-fine resolution (eg. 80 microns), a good recommendation is to level with a feeler gauge.

Peter
    Need immediate assistance? Please give us a call at toll-free 1.855.243.9838 / international: 1.626.322.3855 M-F 9:00am - 5:00pm PST | E-mail: supports@flashforge-usa.com | FlashForge YouTube Channel

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    2. Why would you even want to?
    seriously ? you can't see why someone would want autoleveling ?
    Wow.

Super Moderator
    Not for the cost and machine complexity involved. It isn't worth $1000 bucks.

Someone said there is autoleveling for $40 bucks, I have yet to see a link to that piece of hardware. lol. Once you are leveled and have a solid build plate platform, the z-axis switch takes care of your build plate height in relation to the nozzle. This is set every time a print is started.
    Last edited by jfkansas; 07-23-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by lucidpsykosis View Post
    Geoff, I also forgot to ask, how do I get my printer to see the files on the SD card? I use ReplicatorG, and selected to have the files written as a .s3g file, then copied to the SD card...but they don't show up when I choose "print from SD card"?
    Had the same problem here, a file name error ..the file has to be .X3G not .S3G ("files of type" drop down menu, save as .X3G)
    Also I find more prints "gronk" via the SD card (perhaps because I've extended it?) I always use the PC now.
    While I'm here, I have to say Geoff offers really good help.
    Having said that, my FFCx runs a bit differently, most of my ABS runs the best at 222C, the hotbed at 102C with Kapton, mostly without rafts.
    If it doesn't stick, I use the ABS glue (with MEK).
    Also, on the bed leveling, I level it hot (~110C) with a sheet of plain paper, it may take a few go-rounds to get it right, but to be honest, I haven't leveled it in weeks, and yes I run it almost every day @0.22 resolution.
    I snap off the prints with a chunk of oak stick & rubber mallet after the bed has cooled to ~80C (sounds crude, but it works), tap it at the base.
    Just make sure you preheat the bed to allow it to stabilize before running a print.
    Pics of some older & newer prints..and FFCx front panel mods (front lighted switch, plastic front cover, SD card extension)
    My 2 cents anyway.
    Cheers!
    TD
    sample projects.jpgfront panel mods.jpg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast