Close

Modeler needed to add world map to swiss army knife

Hi all!

I am looking for someone with some experience in editing an .stl file for a (i presume) easy task. I found the 3D model of swiss army knife scales online and I wanted to add the world map on top of these to print them out, and place them on a real Swiss army knife. I want to give this as a present to my Geography professor (and promotor for my PhD).

In attachement are:

- swiss army knife scales left and right (in stl)

If anybody could model the world map on the scales I would be so thankfull!

some instructions
    - you can remove the Swiss army logo
    - Add the continents to the knife, in this way that the continents are a mm higher than the oceans when printen in real life.
    - Add the northern hemisphere to the 'scales_left'
    - Add southern hemisphere to the 'scales_right' (incl. antarctica).
    - I couldnt attach the world map in this thread, but feel free to find a nice one online!

Thanks in advance!

scales_left.stlscales_right.stl

This is almost trivial to do. If you go find the .STL images of the world that you want to use, I'll put them on the knife for you. It's not a big deal.

Check out the attached files. The full source (all of 10 lines of code) is included. If this is a gift, you can 'engrave' some text on the handle too.

I just messed with one side of the knife, but check out the files.

And one more suggestion... Because this is going to somebody 'Special', I don't think you want it printed in plastic. Plastic is fine for a prototype and to make sure you like the design, but you can have it made into metal at ShapeWays.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Roxy; 07-17-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Hi Roxy,

Thanks for the recommendations and files! Unfortunaltly I have zero experience with 3D modelling so if you would like to place the map on there that would be a great help!
    I've attached an .stl worldmap. Can you let the continents pop out 1mm, with half of the map on one scale and the other half on the other scale?

World_map_stl.stl

Good idea about the metal printing, I will definitly check it out!

Thanks in advance!

I didn't do as you asked because it looked like the scaling of things wasn't going to lend itself to doing that. And that world map you have is very detailed. I'm dirt poor but I've got a very nice machine for doing big compilations. It took my machine 30 minutes to compile & render what I did. And it took 90 minutes to export it as an .STL file. So I only did what I thought looked best which was the entire world map on one side of the knife and I did it recessed instead of raised.

But the whole source code is attached and you can play with it. I can't actually attach the generated .STL file because it is too big. But I attached the .STL of the world map relocated at the origin (which the source code needs).

I don't think the raised image is going to work as well for what you intend because all those little islands and things are going to be little posts that get broken off if this is actually used in somebody's pocket. But as a recessed image, the full detail will be available and protected from wear. If you really do want it raised, just comment out the line that says:

Recessed_Map();

And uncomment the line that says:

//Protuding_Map();

And then let your machine sit for hours as it Compiles & Renders and exports the .STL file. You can play with it and decide how to proceed.

Picture_of_knife.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Roxy; 07-17-2014 at 03:30 PM.