Close

Which printer is best for what I want to build?

Hi all, first time posting here.

Very new to all this 3D printing business so please excuse any naivety.

I just wanted to get peoples' opinions on which printer would be best for what I intend to build. I have looked over the various types of printing and due to the sheer amount of detail I want to produce and on a relatively small scale, it seems resin is the way to go. I am aware there are also different sorts of resin, and that's where it gets a little confusing for me. On top of that it seems most resin printers have build sizes relatively small. I noticed many are rectangular in shape. Ideally I'd like a square plate. The reason for that is for the model I want to build requires a piece that would be about 3.5"x3.5" in width and length where most seem only to be limited to 2.5" wide from what I have gathered. There is the chance I could break down the model into smaller parts but that would make it difficult, but perhaps necessary. Anyway I'll cross that bridge when it comes to modeling that part. I digress.

I'd like to look at something around CAD$400 is possible. Which type of resin print would work best for what I want to do? I'll attach some pictures of the model I want to try printing first. It's about 3" tall, 3" long and almost 1" wide. I'll also throw in a shot of the analysis from Netfabb.

Eventually I am planning on producing a number of these. I've heard DLP resin printing can actually be quicker than SLA. Is that true? If so, would DLP do something of this detail justice?

CLOCKTOWER SIDE PREVIEW.JPG
    CLOCKTOWER SIDE PREVIEW2.JPG
    CLOCKTOWER SIDE PREVIEW3.JPG
    NETFABB DETAILS.JPG

Thanks for your time and look forward to learning more!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you don't get cheap square resin printers for a reason.

Most current resin machines are based on standard lcd panels - used for phones or tablets - hence the shape and size.

But you should be able to get one wider than 2 inche.
    https://www.amazon.com/KELANT-Curing...%2C319&sr=8-14
    $489
    But I reckon that's about as cheap as that size machine gets.

Have you watched the: 'so I' going to get a resin printer 0 will it kill me ?' video ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrglNNw5A8Q&t=99s

Engineer-in-Training
    Add jamcultur on Thingiverse
    The Elegoo Saturn meets your size requirements. Early bird orders sold out at $400 and are currently being delivered. It is supposed to be available on Amazon in November for a suggested retail price of $500. I expect the price will come down. Other Elegoo resin printers have been getting good reviews, and preliminary reviews of the Saturn are also good. I'm thinking of getting one when it is available.

Hi, thanks for the replies!

Interesting information about the lack of square printers I have seen. Learnt something there!

I have actually been leaning heavily toward the Elegoo Mars since writing this post as I think, being clever, this machine could actually work well toward what I want to do. The reviews look great and so do the prints I have seen. It actually has a larger print size than I thought it did originally which is why I suppose I overlooked it. I looked for the Elegoo Saturn and it did seem unavailable when I was looking for it. Perhaps I'll start with the Mars and see what the Saturn is like in the future.