Hi,

Have been looking for a 3d printer for some years now but have not found the obvious reason to buy one. However it often comes down to that I would like a 3d printer for parts to my motorcycles. There's plenty of times during the years that I have felt a 3d printer would suit my ideas and needs.

Now I have starting thinking of printing a whole new "modernized" set of fairings for one of my motorcycles. I can use CAD and I have painted both bikes, loudspeakers and detailes with good result the last years(quite a learning curve but when you get the hang of it is quite addicting). It is just the part inbetween CAD and painting/finishing that is missing. For fairings I have found that Creality CR-10 Max would suit my needs quite well. Being able to print larger fairing parts instead of smaller ones that have to be mounted togehther in an unsatisfying way. For material I have also read that PETG might be a good option for printing these parts? Is this assumption correct or is there even better suited materials for fairings? This bike is an offorad bike, not an enduro/mx so the fairings are not meant to take any hits.

Is this project a good idea or do I have to rethink it in a major way? Is the printer a good pick for this purpose? I know that the printer needs some tweaking and parts to work as good as possible.

What's your input to a 3d printing novice on this matter?