Close

Full color prints with RGB laser and adaptive resin?

While being a complete lazer/resin noob, could full color prints ever be obtained using RGB lasers and color adopting resin ? Or any other ideas out there...

Technician
    probably not as the resin colour is controlled by the dye that is added to the resin before placing in the printer, and also the colour of the laser would alter the resin curing speed. from what I understand the resin is set up to cure with UV light not visible light for a couple of reasons
    1 so the resin will not cure before using in the printer
    and
    2 (the real killer reason) UV light is far more energetic than visible light so there is more energy for the setting reaction to happen

Technologist
    As above, I don't think that there are resins which will adopt the colour of the laser that cures them. I suppose you might be able to do something where you mix four different coloured resins together, each one reactive to a very specific wavelength, but then you'd have a whole lot of resin left over afterwards (ie while only the green resin may have cured in some places, the red and blue resin will still exist there - they just won't be cured). Realistically, multi-colour prints with the Peachy will probably be done in much the same way that multi-colour prints with FDM printers are - print a few layers in one colour, switch to a different colour material (filament/resin), print a few more layers, etc. Or, for a more practical option, print it all in one colour and paint the result.

Quality of full color 3D printing:
    http://inventrace.com/mat120/3D.html

Engineer-in-Training
    I think the simplest way to achieve multicolor with Peachy is to print hollow closed reservoirs representing the boundaries where you want the color to change and fine drill and inject color/resin into the reservoirs, then put the item into a uv drawer to finally cure.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    wow - or you could maybe paint the prints afterwards ?

Hey Guys

I think Rylan has already spent some thougts on that, as you can see in this Video I found on one of his Youtube Channels:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5FcTAA6JsA

Anyway: I would say colored printing is something that might come some day far far in the future as it is just really hard to achieve with this printing concept.

In my opinion, painting the prints is the way to go and gives you nice results as can be seen in the Peachy updates.

Have a nice day,
    quertz