Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for Light weight 3d printer

Hello, I am totally new to 3d printing. I am also travelling soon which I just decided to buy a 3d printer. I am looking for something light weight, that doesn't take a lot of space, some bigger 3d printer. Open source would be nice but not necessary. I really don't have a price range but I don't mind spending up to a thousand or 2 if its really advance. Don't forget it will go in a luggage so it needs to be light weight and disassembled. I could leave the filaments maybe and only take 3d printer so base is more important. I can buy the filaments when I arrive.

Oh i need something I can get on amazon or some reputable place that ships fast which i need with in a week or so.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    where are you going ?
    It's relevant :-)

And no there is nothing of any size that is 'lightweight'.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add jamcultur on Thingiverse
    The smallest lightest FDM printer I know of is the Monoprice Mini Delta. The shipping weight is 10 pounds, so the printer itself would be less than that. It has a handle on top, but doesn't have a carrying case.

The Phrozen Sonic Mini is a resin printer that is smaller in size than the Mini Delta, but about the same weight. I suspect that it is more fragile than the Mini Delta, and I'm sure that airlines wouldn't let you carry the resin with you.

Amazon carries both of those printers.

I've traveled with my Ultimaker 2 Go, which weighs 13.5 pounds and came with a nice carrying case, but it wasn't fun. Maybe you could find a Makerspace where you are going, and join it while you are there. That would give you access to 3D printers and people who could help you use them.

Engineer-in-Training
    I just saw on Amazon that the Monoprice Mini Delta weighs 4 pounds. I don't think you'll find anything lighter.
    https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Pri...07CJQ3D6L?th=1

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    My mini delta weighs a bit more than 4 lbs :-)
    the 10lb is definitely a lot nearer.
    But it would fit in a standard suitcase.
    Well as long as you didn't have partitions in each half.
    Pack the inside carefully with some socks and it'd travel pretty well.
    No idea if you'd get it onboard as hand luggage - probably not these days.

But print dimensions are only 100x100mm
    Ignore what it says on the advert - you will not get anything larger than 100x100 to actually print.
    So not exactly large.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-26-2020 at 02:18 PM.

First off Thank you all for the replies. I am traveling to Europe and have hard case luggage so i am not so worried it getting damaged. 4-8 pounds sounds reasonable

I looked at this and saw 3.5 rating so i skipped it. does it come disassembled? is this good for a beginner to use? Its mostly personal and for fun nothing professional. but willing to pay more for something advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamcultur View Post
    I just saw on Amazon that the Monoprice Mini Delta weighs 4 pounds. I don't think you'll find anything lighter.
    https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Pri...07CJQ3D6L?th=1

OH also mini delta shows Item Weight 10.20 pounds is that full packing or the device itself. I can spread the load around to other luggage, but if the device really weights that much it will not work out taking a full luggage out just by itself.

I like it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9xtJddDgB4 the weight is the issue. if anyone has this can you weight it for me and maybe see what the width of one the sides is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkuF_th7l_I also watched this seems needs some customization which is fine.

My other question would be is there any alternative to this.
    and something like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qub5chyIQ0s getting the hard to find parts here and get the rest when I get there. what would something like this weight and does it even make sense for a beginner to try this. so many options so little time

Also thank you all just for sharing your knowledge

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by drewex View Post
    OH also mini delta shows Item Weight 10.20 pounds is that full packing or the device itself. I can spread the load around to other luggage, but if the device really weights that much it will not work out taking a full luggage out just by itself.
    According to Amazon, the shipping weight is 10.2 pounds and the machine weight is 4 pounds. That seems unbelievably light. It must not include the power adapter or anything else.

You can purchase the Mini Delta or another 3D printer in Europe. When you come home, you can sell it there and buy a new one when you get home. Or, it you want to keep it, you can carry it home, but at least you'll only need to carry it one way. Keep in mind that if you purchase a printer in the US, it will come with a 115 volt power adapter, while it will come with a 230 volt power adapter if you buy it in Europe, which is what you you will need there. Will you be traveling to different countries? Britain uses a different type of power plug than the rest of Europe.

Building a 3D printer is a big job and will require tools as well as parts.
    Last edited by jamcultur; 07-27-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast