Close

Mendel. Delamination and Z-steps and height problems

Hi,

i'm currently using a mendel-based 3d printer Han-bot. And i've had an issues right after the purchase.

The thing is - i cannot make a outside wall thicker than 0,8 mm for the reason, that everything that is bigger than 0,8 is delaminating (pls see the photo attached). I've tried with different temps (195-235C for brown PLA) and speed parameters of outside walls but with no effect. I've included pics for reference.

I also have another big issue and maybe its somehow affects the previous one - my Z axis steps are not set correctly. I get a height of 1,6 bigger than the original one, i.e. cube 10x10x10 i get 10x10x16. So i manually set the height scaling coefficent of 0.63 for every model in Cura. The problem is my steps/mm are set to 2560 which is right for threaded bolt of 8 x 1,25 (pitch), but mine is tr8 x 2, so i need it to be set to 1600 but i do not know how. What should i do to change that value? I have downloaded Arduino IDE but cannot get how to export my firmware from my printer for further manipulations.

And the third - why do i have such non-uniformity on the side surface - theres are lots of spaces between the layers. But it happens from time to time. Maybe these Z-steps causing the problem? Or temp

Thank you

If you go to https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin and look in the lower right corner, you will be able to download the current Marlin code base. (Press the 'Download ZIP' button)

Then go to: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software and download the Arduino v1.05 software.

You want to take your machine's Configuration.h file and use that to update the existing Configuration.h file in the Marlin code base. You compile the code, and then flash your electronics with the updated firmware.

One of the setting will be how much a step moves the Z-Axis up and down. You can get it dialed in exactly by changing the Configuration.h values.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    If you go to https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin and look in the lower right corner, you will be able to download the current Marlin code base. (Press the 'Download ZIP' button)

Then go to: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software and download the Arduino v1.05 software.

You want to take your machine's Configuration.h file and use that to update the existing Configuration.h file in the Marlin code base. You compile the code, and then flash your electronics with the updated firmware.

One of the setting will be how much a step moves the Z-Axis up and down. You can get it dialed in exactly by changing the Configuration.h values.
    Thank you. And is there any way to export the configuration_h file from my machine? I'm afraid that local dealers have flashed it with some customs settings which differ from defaults

Quote Originally Posted by evidence View Post
    Thank you. And is there any way to export the configuration_h file from my machine? I'm afraid that local dealers have flashed it with some customs settings which differ from defaults
    Oh! Wait! We have to back up! I was thinking Mendel's use Marlin firmware. I'm not sure that is always the case. I know some of them do, but does yours use Marlin Firmware?

Regardless... If you were starting from scratch... If you can build the Marlin firmware and flash your electronics with it... It won't take long to get your system up and running. You just go through the Configuration.h file line by line and change things to what you have. And each time you compile and flash the electronics, you will get closer and closer to having the machine run right.

But this is the approach I would take:

Who ever sold you this printer is leveraging the Open Source code base for the firmware. Whether it is Marlin or something else, it is Open Source. Part of the license agreement for that code base is "You are allowed to use it, and build products for sale using it... But you have to provide the actual source code that you ship with your products."

The reason this is done is so any enhancements, or in this case, any customizations are available to anybody who wants them. That keeps the Open Source mentality intact even if it is used in a commercial product. My recommendation is you call or email whoever you bought it from and say "I want the source code." Almost for sure they are going to point you to a place to get it. And if you have any difficulty getting it... You are absolutely 100% entitled to it from a legal perspective.

You should have received the firmware, instructions and stl files for the printer's printed parts on the SD card that came with the machine. You can also download here (no guarantees it's current, though). I would take Roxy's advice and take the values in Configuration.h from sd.zip (the file in the link) and transpose into the latest Marlin firmware. The firmware has changed a fair bit from one to the other, so it won't be a simple as overwriting one file with the other.

No you, can't export firmware from your printer as source code.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dkarma View Post
    I would take Roxy's advice and take the values in Configuration.h from sd.zip (the file in the link) and transpose into the latest Marlin firmware. The firmware has changed a fair bit from one to the other, so it won't be a simple as overwriting one file with the other.
    If you go down this path, probably the thing to do would be run both old and new configuration.h files into a DIFF program or web site. Anything you see with the same names and such, keep the old values. (The Marlin code base has value for the author's printer. You want values for your printer.) But when you see something new in the new file and there is nothing matching it in your older file... Keep that stuff.

If you do that, it won't be hard to get it to compile and be running with the latest firmware. And there certainly are people here that can make problems go away if you can't get the code merged by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dkarma View Post
    You should have received the firmware, instructions and stl files for the printer's printed parts on the SD card that came with the machine. You can also download here (no guarantees it's current, though).
    3DKarma, that link goes to a file that is impossibly large. The download never finishes.

sd.zip is 660mb - it contains the full set of original instructions, firmware, STL files for the printed parts, build instructions software, etc. that comes with a hanbot. If you just want the firmware, download it here.

I've had a dig around and found a Marlin Configuration.h file I created for the hanbot, based on values taken from the original firmware.
    1. YMMV, to the point it make not work for you. Please be careful using it and be prepared to unplug your printer if things go wrong.
    2. You will need to tune your e-steps per mm.
    3. The thermistor values are based on pure guesswork.

I strongly recommend you read through it and change as you see fit.

Download here. Printer type in the file is RP3D.COM_PANGU.

Dear Evidence,

I have searched on this forum for those who have a Han-bot printer as I am having issues with mine.

I am not sure if your printer arrived as mine did, with a cube that had been printed on the bed, so I have to assume it worked at some point.

I set it up and the circuit board had a puff of smoke. One new circuit board later and I started setting it up for printing. It seems to move fine in x and y directions but is very rough in the z direction.

How did you set up the hanbot for printing? Was there any info that you found helpful? Any tips are appreciated.

The hanbot is very noisy in the Z direction, especially at any speed. It shouldn't affect your print quality, though. Are you having specific problems?