Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips for 3D Printer Filament

Considering the following tips when looking for 3D filaments will prevent common 3D printer problems,like clogged nozzles or 3D printer extruder jams, and print output rejects.
    Look for filaments with consistent diameter tolerance

The two common diameters of 3D printer filaments, be it ABS or PLA, is 1.75mm and 3mm. Most prefer the 1.75mm because it is lighter per unit length and because it is small, it can be heated faster so you can print faster. Each printer’s extruder is designed to work with one diameter of plastic filament and will not work with the other. Check your printer’s listed specifications or documentation to see which one it uses.

If the 3D filament has an irregular diameter, it will have an “inconsistent extrusion.” This means that the volume of extruded plastic of the 3D printer will be uneven. The software will not adjust itself, rather, it will just keep on printing even if the result is not perfect.

Having a good filament diameter also prevents the extruder from failing, preventing the plastic from getting to the hot end. Your filament suddenly becomes too thin for the tensioning mechanism because the filament is being gripped with insufficient pressure.

Always check for good filament roundness

The filament will always undergo some compression while making contact with the extruder wheel gripping the plastic. This will reduce the roundness of the filament in the process.
    When the filament becomes oval, it can lead to extruder failure similar to having an inconsistent diameter does.
    Vouch for a spool diameter greater than 100 mm
    Some 3D plastic filament users found out that several spool designs can affect the function of the material. By using a relatively small spool (100mm), they found that tightly wound plastic is harder to unspool. This can be affected by the temperature of the plastic when it is spooled by the manufacturer. Some will go through the extra step of letting the plastic cool a bit before coiling.
    Most extruder designs require the extruder to pull the filament off the spool that when you reach the end of a tightly coiled spool, the filament becomes brittle,slipping and stripping off your filament in the process. They recommend a spool with an inner diameter greater than 100 mm.

thanks for the info.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Check filament diameter at multiple locations with good calipers.

I dont know but i've ordered filament from cheap3dfilaments.com a few times and i've never had a problem.

Engineer-in-Training
    Good point about a larger coil.

Technician
    To be honest, all filaments with tolerance +- 0.05 is good to use for 3D printing, and these have normal 0.03 in roundness diameter. Another option is to look at the filaments, if it looks like waves it is bad quality filaments. Good quality filament look straight without "wawes".

it's helpful, thank you.

Technician
    thanks, although i'd expect the extruder to be a little more sophisticated, like regular ink jet printers, they can control the output volume of material...

Quote Originally Posted by alodia View Post
    thanks, although i'd expect the extruder to be a little more sophisticated, like regular ink jet printers, they can control the output volume of material...
    It's easier with liquids since the output of a pump is something you can calculate. Here everything depends on the tolerance of the filament.

That's an argument used by printer manufacturers to put forward their closed source filament.
    I think it's also an argument in favor of the augier pellet extruders like the one from richrap.

Senior Engineer
    I have just finished a 1 kg roll of filament that was £10, free postage off ebay. The roll was installed when I got it and has run out without a single jam or reload. That includes a 52 hour print and several greater than 10 hours. The other side of the coin is the roll of the same colour that actually came in the box with my Wanhao replicator. That will not print more than 2 ft without sticking. All it needs to get it going again is a push on the filament but that is no cure as it is still a knackered print even if you are there to push it when it sticks.

Stratasys filament never sticks, slips or otherwise misbehaves. It may be £150 per kg but for reliable printing it takes the prize no matter what machine you stick it in.

There is more to this plastic than meets the eye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast