Close

Thread: Desing question

Desing question

Hi! how are you?I'd like to get this object on a 3d model. I have a caliper and some CAD skills.My intention once the thing is really polished and tested, is to share the design. What file format is recommended for this purpose?Anyway I have also some doubts about if a 3d printer will be able to get this much detail (I'm attaching some pictures to this post).Lastly, what about the material?. This a very, let's say, polished and shiny plastic. Is there any way I can reproduce this with a 3d printer?Thank you in advance for your help!

You could try ABS material and have a surface finishing of polishing.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well it looks like a battery cover or similiar.
    No problem at all printing that - can't see any fine detail. Looks pretty standard to me :-)

Abs is not for beginners. Plus pla is shinier and smoother and much better for this kind of application anyway.
    There are any number of brands and filaments that are much shinier and glossier than the part in your pictures.

From a design point of view it looks pretty simple, you'll probably need to print it with supports for the top clips.

And bear in mind you are designing something to do the same job - it does NOT need to be identical in the parts you don't see.
    I'd personally redesign the clips to print without supports - but I just don't like the hassle of messing about with supports :-)