Close

need advice on new filament

I extruded some PPO Noryl SE100 into filament. It is extremely viscous and my nozzle keeps jamming.
    Any advice on settings would be appreciated.
    I have been printing at 290C and with a 0.4mm nozzle

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    first - what the hell is it ?

NORYL is a registered trademark of SABIC Innovative Plastics IP B.V. The NORYL™ family of modified PPE resins consists of amorphous blends of PPO™ polyphenylene ether (PPE) resin and polystyrene. They combine the inherent benefits of PPE resin (affordable high heat resistance, good electrical insulation properties, excellent hydrolytic stability and the ability to use non-halogen FR packages), with excellent dimensional stability, good processibility and low specific gravity. Originally developed in 1966 by General Electric Plastics (now owned by SABIC). NORYL resins are a rare example of a homogeneous mixture of two polymers. Most polymers are incompatible with one another, so tend to produce separate phases when mixed. The two polymers compatibility in NORYL resins is due to the presence of a benzene ring in the repeat units of both chains.
    Contents

Properties

The addition of polystyrene to PPE increases the glass transition temperature above 100 °C, owing to the high Tg of PPE, so NORYL resin is stable in boiling water. The precise value of the transition depends on the exact composition of the grade used. There is a smooth linear relation between weight content of polystyrene and the Tg of the blend. Due to its good electrical resistance, it is widely used in switch boxes. However, product design is important in maximising the strength of the product, especially in eliminating sharp corners and other stress concentrations. Injection molding must ensure that moldings are stress-free.
    Like most other amorphous thermoplastics, Noryl is sensitive to environmental stress cracking when in contact with many organic liquids. Compounds such as gasoline, kerosine, and methylene chloride may initiate brittle cracks resulting in product failure.
    I guess the main question is what are you using it for and why make filament from it in the first place :-)
    If it's too thick, generally a higher extruder temp is the way to go.
    Or a much slower print speed.

What print settings have you been using ?

And what filament extruder did you use ?

I am using it to print battery housings/cases.
    I used an Extrusion Bot (first gen)
    The diameter is actually about 1.5 mm
    I'm thinking about using a larger nozzle today and see if that helps.
    I have been printing at 60mm/s. Do you think slowing it down even more would help?

Senior Engineer
    I am sure slowing it down more would help. That is very fast for those temperatures if you are using a standard extruder. I would have thought that 20mm/sec would be nearer the mark.

You are barely hot enough as it is and once you start shoving the melted stuff out you will be trying to extrude barely warm plastic.

ok, thanks.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah 60 is fast for that kind of material.