Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First print help/for-parts Creators on eBay

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Flashforge Creator on eBay from j_thurber. If you haven't seen their auctions, they sell FF printers returned to Amazon, as "parts only" and without any info on the condition. This particular one had some loose screws, a missing nut, extruder installed incorrectly (cable twisted), dirty nozzles, missing ABS filament, kapton tape removed and replaced with sloppily applied blue painter's tape, power supply set to European (good thing I checked!), a mystery extra sensor cable, and really the only "serious" problem: missing filament spool holders. I have been trying to replicate them with parts from Home Depot's plumbing and irrigation departments, with no success so far. I tried printing a replacement, but I'm having trouble with my print quality. Other than that, it is fully functional and I think a good deal.

So now I get to the real point of this post.

Does anyone know what might be causing this:
    IMG_2596.jpg

I have upgraded the firmware to the latest sailfish and was using RepG 40r24 - sailfish. The three dots on the side in this photo were created by me learning that ReplicatorG is a piece of crap and apparently can't keep a build running unless it is the foreground window. Which leads me to my second question: what software do you prefer for use with these printers? I also have a printrbot simple and use Repetier and slic3r with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by captainserial View Post

The three dots on the side in this photo were created by me learning that ReplicatorG is a piece of crap and apparently can't keep a build running unless it is the foreground window. Which leads me to my second question: what software do you prefer for use with these printers? I also have a printrbot simple and use Repetier and slic3r with it.
    I agree that ReplicatorG is crap. We have been making our own PP based filament and it was clogging quite a bit in the nozzle (sometimes the nozzle was clogging every 1-2 hours), so I decided to try simplify3d (http://www.simplify3d.com) software which cost $150, but I must say for me it has been well worth the investment. Now the nozzle has not clogged in over 30 hours of printing. Build quality is substantially better, slicing used to take +8mins now takes 20 secs, video playback of the print build and manual add/replace of support structures.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    so does simplify3d actually talk directly to the printer ?
    Nothing else except makerware and rep-g seem to.

And what speed resolution were you printing at captain serial ?

even at .4 layer and 75mms speed I've not had anything looking that rough.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Try Makerware. RepG is what it is...an older program that was used a lot in the earlier days of hobby printing. It isn't changing and the other programs like Makerware and Simplify3d are taking over.

Thats cool to hear some feedback on one of those refurb Ebay creators. I have bid on a couple but it seems that someone always want's the printer a little more than me. I already have one though so I can wait. I really want a Pro since I upgrated my X to a pro for the most part.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by captainserial View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just bought a Flashforge Creator on eBay from j_thurber. If you haven't seen their auctions, they sell FF printers returned to Amazon, as "parts only" and without any info on the condition. This particular one had some loose screws, a missing nut, extruder installed incorrectly (cable twisted), dirty nozzles, missing ABS filament, kapton tape removed and replaced with sloppily applied blue painter's tape, power supply set to European (good thing I checked!), a mystery extra sensor cable, and really the only "serious" problem: missing filament spool holders. I have been trying to replicate them with parts from Home Depot's plumbing and irrigation departments, with no success so far. I tried printing a replacement, but I'm having trouble with my print quality. Other than that, it is fully functional and I think a good deal.

So now I get to the real point of this post.

Does anyone know what might be causing this:
    IMG_2596.jpg

I have upgraded the firmware to the latest sailfish and was using RepG 40r24 - sailfish. The three dots on the side in this photo were created by me learning that ReplicatorG is a piece of crap and apparently can't keep a build running unless it is the foreground window. Which leads me to my second question: what software do you prefer for use with these printers? I also have a printrbot simple and use Repetier and slic3r with it.
    Replicator G is good, but not printing from it directly. Export to X3G and print from SD card. If RepG crashes, so does your print job. If Makerware crashes, you don't lose it as it runs it's own background service. You can close makerware and it will keep printing.

Personally, I'd go with makerware, it's a pretty dumbed down printing software but it does the job

Super Moderator
    If you use Proftweak with Makerware there isn't anything dumbed down. More settings than you could ever think of.of....

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    If you use Proftweak with Makerware there isn't anything dumbed down. More settings than you could ever think of.of....
    If you want to only use makerware sure, proftweaks profile editor mixed with makerwares gcode isn't compatible Replicator G, but you knew that didn't you.
    Last edited by Geoff; 07-23-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    None of that answers the question - is simplyfy3d fully ff creator compatible ?

Well according to simplify3d - yes it is. And not as a makerbot clone either, mentioned in its own right.

Printer Compatibility List

Airwolf3D HD/HDx
    Airwolf3D XL/V5/Prusa
    Cubify CubeX *
    Deezmaker Bukobot
    Fablicator
    Felix 1.5/2.0/3.0
    FlashForge Creator/Creator X/Pro
    Fusion3 Designs F-306
    German RepRap X400/NEO
    inDimension3 iDeator 12/Summit 16
    IonCore Zinter Pro
    Kossel Mini
    LeapFrog Creatr/HS/XL
    Leapfrog Xeed
    LulzBot AO-101
    LulzBot TAZ 3/4

MakerGear Prusa Mendel
    MakerGear Mosaic M1
    MakerGear M2
    MakerBot Thing-O-Matic
    MakerBot Replicator 1
    MakerBot Replicator 2
    MakerBot Replicator 2X
    MBot Cube 1/2
    MBot GRID II
    MendelMax 1.5/2.0/Pro
    MendelMax 3.0
    Printrbot Simple/Simple Metal
    Printrbot Jr/LC/Plus

Prusa i3
    Prusa Mendel

QU-BD OneUp/TwoUp
    QU-BD Revolution Series
    RepRapPro Mendel
    Robo3D
    Rostock Max
    SeeMeCNC Orion
    Solidoodle 1/2/3/4
    Sumpod Aluminum/Delta/Mega
    Type A Machines Series1
    Ultimaker 1/2
    Velleman K8200
    Wanhao Duplicator 4/4X
    XYZprinting Da Vinci 1.0 **

Now if they only had a 30 day test version I'd give it a go. But they can't honestly expect people to shell out $150 on the off chance in this day and age.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-23-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Super Moderator
    I don't base any of my software usage on old out of date software like RepG.

I bought Simplify3D. The very first print with it looked way better, with none of the missing sections, and with a little bit of filament diameter tweaking it looked as good as something coming off of my more extensively tuned Printrbot Simple. I will probably use it for the Printrbot as well, see how it compares to the latest stable slic3r.

Looks like I'm going to have to shim up the unused extruder on single color prints, as it drags through anything larger than the width between the nozzles.

However, my wife just saw the credit card statement and realized I bought a second printer, and is about to murder me. Would any of you fine gentlemen like to purchase this excellent printer? I would be willing to sell it at my cost, and include my improvised spindle holders for no additional fee. Free shipping, I kept the original box, incredibly lightly used, with all of the issues mentioned in the original post resolved.

I just don't want to sleep in the car tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast