Close

Strange Gap In First Layer

Has anyone ever had this problem? It looks like an under extruded first layer, but its only on the outer edges of the print. I tried adjusting the first layer flow % but it did not appear to fix the problem. How do I fix this? I am using Cura for slicing. Also, not sure if the issue is related, but I can't get the raft to separate from the print since encountering this. It seems like air gap settings don't help as I've tried .2 to .6 with no improvement.

image 9.jpg
    Last edited by FLSUNNOTFUN; 05-03-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    why are you using a raft ?
    take away the raft and you take away a lot of problems.

If you need better bed adhesion - get some magigoo (dimnafix is better, but I'm not sure if it's still available).

I print with a raft because I get a much nicer/smoother finish on the bottom of the print. I've never been able to get good results without using a raft. I get good bed adhesion when trying to print without a raft but the print looks rough on the bottom.

I just tried printing the same piece without a raft and it still has that first layer gap like in the picture above. I never used to have this problem. I've tried various settings (for days) and even gone back to the default slicer profile which used to always be a good baseline for decent prints. I have no idea whats going on.

sounds like a design fault then - got a link to the stl ?

How do you inset/attach a file here? It's just a 25mm x 25mm x 5mm block.
    Last edited by FLSUNNOTFUN; 05-03-2020 at 05:23 PM.

I solved this problem by adjusting my Z offset from .8mm to .1mm. The gap is gone now.

yeah - lol - that'll do it all right :-)