Close

Ender 5 pro. Extruder skipping steps/missing layers

Hello!

I am new to 3d printers and this is my first printer. Last week i have bought Ender 5 pro and from the beginning i have problems with extruder skipping steps/missing layers. It was occuring at random times. Sometimes at the first layer, sometimes after 2 hours of printing.

I have tried adjustment of temperature, speed of printing, bed levelling, tried different brands of filament, checked for any jams and the problem is still occuring. Today i checked how the extruder works without filament and even then it is clicking (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3esLzxAhkg). How can i resolve this problem?

Student
    Hi - thats a tricky one. I've used a reprap kit and more recently a flashforge finder but certainly no expert. The way forward will be to eliminate what *isnt* wrong. It looks like a hardware problem but cant make that assumption. I would start with the slicer software and make sure it is running with no errors. Any errors during slicing are a problem. Do your designs/downloads slice with any errors? If so, all of them? I think the next thing to look at would be the location of the problem. Does it occur randomly or in a specific X,Y area? It's difficult from the video to see which axis that is jumping on. I would be surprised if it completely random and looks like there is some mechanical problem. Many printers use toothed belts connected to the stepper motor - is the drive cog and belt clean and damage free? Thats all I can think of for now HTH.