Close

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    Funny thing is, if the cobble were truly a cobbling of already-made parts, it might help. Such as ready-to-purchase ABS corner blocks for rods to slide into; ready-cut rods; wiring and controller from another printer. Sounds like a reprap kit.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    I think you can re-launch on KS too; no need to go to IGG.
    KS won't let you relaunch until you fulfill your current obligations. AFAIK, there's never been an attempt to "Refund & Relaunch" - and remember KS took their 5% off the top, along with 3-5% to Amazon.. In any event, he didn't sell all his KS slots, and is still languishing sub 5 additional units sold on IndieGogo - didn't realize backers there were that much smarter than Kickstarter - guess those 100's of folks looking for printers changed their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenica View Post
    14thcarrot,

Your explanation is very plausible and the more I think about it, seems very very likely.

It is the "missing link" explanation that accounts for all of the variables. The name of
    his printer even fits...he happened upon these parts and cobbled a printer together with
    the intention of selling the parts.

I'm not sure I buy this one - if all he were trying to do was capitalize on a stock of parts, why go to all the sillyness of an unproven design? If he'd simply copied a more traditional design and kept the price at $299, he would have sold at least the same number. If he'd actually had a video of a working printer, I'm convinced he'd have touched $1m.

I do feel for 99% of the current backers. The 1% of the backers who don't own printers but were the comment section "experts" are at least as culpable as Jeremiah - and deserve what's delivered.

Student
    I was backing that project for a while up till the last day. Most of my questions were technical in nature and only the simplest ones were answered directly by the creator in emails. The rest were somewhat answered by over-enthusiastic backers. Without even looking into the finances of it, I believe that not one of those printers will ever create decent prints without major modifications to its design. It doesn't take much thought or research to understand that its just not going to work to the specifications stated. Anyone interested in 3D printing who doesn't have deep interest in fabrication AND have technical problem solving and reasoning skills akin to those of mechanical and electrical engineers and a propensity for stubbornness perhaps should take up another hobby. I probably did convince a few dozen people NOT to invest in it by just stating obvious facts and calling out people who seemed to be paid off to back that project. Unfortunately, fools and their money are soon parted. No amount of effort or reasoning will convince them otherwise.

Latest update says everything is perfect; they are buying a filament company, and filing patents and defamation suits!

"defamation suit"?

That is comical. John Pinette kind of funny...and that is saying something considering John was a riot to see in person!

Nothing to do or say but wait, time will reveal all hidden truths....and lies.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenica View Post
    "defamation suit"?

That is comical. John Pinette kind of funny...and that is saying something considering John was a riot to see in person!

Nothing to do or say but wait, time will reveal all hidden truths....and lies.
    Considering you appear to be one of the people who only registered here to slam this product... why don't you tell us all why you feel like trolling this product? eg. what do you gain if Cobblebot fails?

Not trolling, observing.

Frankly I am observing the cobblebot progress because I would like it to succeed. I am in contact with
    a few of its backers to have some things printed, utilizing the 15" print area. So while I want these printers
    to come to fruition, my gut tells me it won't. The fanboy club on the forum they setup is disturbing. People
    expect more communication when getting their car serviced but sending this guy money and hearing crickets
    is ok with them.

Ignorance is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dspider View Post
    Considering you appear to be one of the people who only registered here to slam this product... why don't you tell us all why you feel like trolling this product? eg. what do you gain if Cobblebot fails?
    I don't think anyone has much to gain by a company making wild claims and going under. If anything, it will fuel deception on this technology and crowdfunding and might prevent actual projects from going forward. And everybody loses somewhat from that.

I worked a lot in manufacturing and now in customer support. My guts tell me that 300$ is low for an assembly with so many components with "fixed price" (e g motors, slides, ...), but still doable (not talking about the quality of the end result here). What it does not include is support, warranty, room for failure and recovery. And that is not a way to do business : there's always mishaps, and that's life so you have to have some margin to recover. That is only my personal feeling and I wish everybody well. But this story and another similar seen on this forum did make me rethink my personal expectations towards crowdfunding in general.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    I don't think anyone has much to gain by a company making wild claims and going under. If anything, it will fuel deception on this technology and crowdfunding and might prevent actual projects from going forward. And everybody loses somewhat from that.

I worked a lot in manufacturing and now in customer support. My guts tell me that 300$ is low for an assembly with so many components with "fixed price" (e g motors, slides, ...), but still doable (not talking about the quality of the end result here). What it does not include is support, warranty, room for failure and recovery. And that is not a way to do business : there's always mishaps, and that's life so you have to have some margin to recover. That is only my personal feeling and I wish everybody well. But this story and another similar seen on this forum did make me rethink my personal expectations towards crowdfunding in general.
    First, let me say this: I don't usually expect a crowd-funded product to meet commercial standards. The cobblebot is no exception. However, I will support any company that brings down the cost of 3d printing.

  One of the big problems I see with most crowdfunded projects is when they hire a person to do full time customer relations before they start shipping a product. If the Cobblebot fails to fulfill its first "early-bird" orders, then I'd expect to see concern over it. Then they could hire a customer service rep to do "updates". Until then, all these concerns people have are unfounded.
      As far as the cost goes, they will probably take a slight loss on the "basic" $299 models, but will make up for that on upgrades. For instance, a heated bed costs $150 extra. An extra hotend? $90. An Enclosure? $145. Also, the creator has stated that he already has funding and the kickstarter was more of an effort to get his foot in the door as it were.
      Anyway, we'll see. I am willing to give him a chance.

(Crowdfunding in general is like investing in the stock market... Don't spend what you can't afford to lose. You may receive a payout, you might not. It's a gamble either way.)
    Last edited by 3dspider; 08-21-2014 at 05:06 AM. Reason: formatting.

Student
    In light of what has gone on here,

If it wasnt painfully obvious, everything stated here was my opinion based on my experiences. If anyone ever construed what I said as fact, well that is their own fault. I made it fairly clear throughout here that everything was my opinion, I doubt something, or made assumptions.

Therefore in the interest of making things perfectly clear, I retract all that I said on this project. I have always believed it is possible to deliver them at $299 and I did state that, I just worried that the machine is going to have issues printing objects full size and the timeframe to deliver given lead times on injection molds. My assumptions on viability assumed a large-person team on a salary and this project might not have that. Again, clearly I never made that it was fact what I said.

Then again, with $383,000 you can have a decent amount of bargaining power.

Good luck to the backers of this project. With some DIY mods it probably could work really well.
    Last edited by djbrowny; 08-22-2014 at 05:33 AM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast