Close

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Technician
    Just wondering here: djbrowny: if / when this product is shipped, will you be issuing an apology to the creators, or will you just find another project to troll?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterAnubis View Post
    djbowny, you have some very good and strong points. You clearly feel something on a personal level here, especially given your defense in your sig.

When you give advise to your clients, is it normal to use the terms "magical world" and "unicorn land" when telling them about their business plans? For me, this hurts your credibly and a consultant. Don't get me wrong, I truly believe that you bring up valid and necessary concerns. I am someone you has done a similar business analysis, I didn't pursue the business I wanted because of it. That doesn't mean I didn't want to risk it anyway. I know "hope" and "believe" don't really belong in a business plan with unproven designs or an unknown material cost bracket too.

I disagree that skilled labor is necessary for all assemblers. This is Rigidbot factory assembly.
    No job that they show in this footage is beyond my 12yo's skill level.
    What that video isn't showing is more telling than what it is showing.
    It isn't showing you the number of times someone has to redo something
    or have someone else correct it. It doesn't show a single person taking a
    parts bin to fruition resulting in a complete machine, then being calibrated
    and set to print. I say "isn't" because they keep stopping the record.

It also isn't showing me a single person I'd want to know was behind the
    build of MY 3D printer.

I find myself agreeing with everyting DJB stated.

I'm an engineer, granted an electrical engineer and not a mechanical one but
    I do design my own circuits and the code that runs on them. I also do things
    as a hobby like build prop replicas. I have looked at having things done overseas
    and any order under 10,000 is laughed at. If you want to use COB then that standard
    is a million or more.

I hope for the backers sake that cobblebot comes through but with all of the nagging
    questions like no evidence it can actually print anything upwards of 15" and that the
    founder ignored the forum is alarming. Where else can you tell your investors to send
    me an email I'll reply but don't expect me at any meetings. Then his explanation for
    the lack of a video is because his DSLR over heats. I smell BS. Now I looked into this
    and it seems some DSLR camera do overheat taking video, mine does not but some do.

Then get a different camera! Jees mon, my iPhone does 1080p. Most smart phones do
    and is he suggesting that as a lawyer, he doesn't have a blackberry or other smart
    phone?

I do smell scam.

He is a bankruptcy lawyer, who better to know how to skate the law.

Technician
    I find it interesting that your only posts on here are to attack this project.
    Did you make this account for the express reason of attacking this project? And if so, why?
    It looks like you have a business selling 3d printed parts.
    So do cheaper 3d printers threaten your business model?
    Will you be attacking all similarly priced printers on Kickstarter, or have you singled out the Cobblebot for some reason?
    Oh, and your prices: are they AUD, or USD?

I think the backers will receive their kits, although the bot will not work right because the design is crap. I don't think this is a scam or that the lawyer guy will take the money and run. My guess is that he came across a bunch of printer parts that some guy/company close to bankruptcy is trying to dump, and joined up with John Hobgood to cash in on this opportunity. Mr lawyer has his own online reprap printer business (this is before the KS thing), maybe its one of his suppliers that's going down, or maybe its himself. Either way, I think he's getting the parts for next to nothing and trying to get people to buy. We all can tell that he doesn't care about this project like a normal startup founder should, and he's pushing you to buy but there is not a lot of info on the actual product. He's really just cashing in on the parts.

Student
    OK Im done here

Everything I have said on this matter has been formally retracted as of right now (see below for timestamp)
    Last edited by djbrowny; 08-21-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    he specifically states that he has received 100's of request from people who missed out on the Kickstarter, hence his desire to start the IndieGogo funding round.
    I think you can re-launch on KS too; no need to go to IGG.

14thcarrot,

Your explanation is very plausible and the more I think about it, seems very very likely.

It is the "missing link" explanation that accounts for all of the variables. The name of
    his printer even fits...he happened upon these parts and cobbled a printer together with
    the intention of selling the parts.

3DPBuser, I don't agree with that "strategy" either. That number of backers could have been made up with a good long video.

Zenica, I did say "for all assemblers". Believe me, I understand how important calibration is to everyday life.

djbowny, The camera thing is just silly excuses for sure. There is video and pictures of a GoPro in shot! There is no excuse for not putting up video. Even if an upload takes two days to get a large HD video posted on YouTube, that time will (and has) passed.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by djbrowny View Post
    4) My 'beef' with the project is that I cant stand reading all the comments of backers who wasted money.
    I really support you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterAnubis View Post
    djbowny, you have some very good and strong points. You clearly feel something on a personal level here, especially given your defense in your sig.

When you give advise to your clients, is it normal to use the terms "magical world" and "unicorn land" when telling them about their business plans?
    In my line of work we say "le monde des bisounours", and we build helicopters for a living, can you believe it ?
    Bisounours_bandeau_994.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by djbrowny View Post
    yet they struggle to sell machines coz all the 'new 3d printer' money is being funneled into kickstarter printers which never deliver
    This right here is as critical as the possibility that backers may never see that parts bag.
    The collateral side effect is a legitimate start up may fail because a "business" that never
    intended on delivering is both absorbing money and leaving consumers with a negative
    impression of the industry.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast