Close

Student

Printer for Masks/Vents

Greetings folks,

I did try and search for an answer, but no luck. I was wondering what type of 3D printer do I need in order to make the masks and/or ventilator mask. I am totally new to the world of 3D printing, but I have several close friends who could be impacted by this. One of them, a RN who is doing rule outs, and she just informed me they have only 80 vent masks in their area- shocking.

If I could do something to help, I'd like to but I am not sure where to go and I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. Thank you so much for those who read and respond!

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Try

https://cults3d.com/en/collections/u...s-covid19-tool

However I could not 3D Print a water nozzle without leaking, do not believe I would Trust with a virus that was 3D Printed.

Water Hose Adapter 2.jpg

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    Try

https://cults3d.com/en/collections/u...s-covid19-tool

However I could not 3D Print a water nozzle without leaking, do not believe I would Trust with a virus that was 3D Printed.

Water Hose Adapter 2.jpg

Thank you I will check this out!

To print things air tight you need to have extrusion set correctly with the proper amount of infill and perimeter over lap and number of solid layers to ensure no leaks. Also a quality filament that does not change diameter (altering the amount of extrusion). When all is correct you can produce sealed items as printed with no post sealing needed. The idea of going out and buying a printer with zero knowledge of the process so you can print masks is not really very sound. First because a single printer is not going to be able to produce much and second, the process is not plug and play like buying an ink jet printer.. I own a good printer and have been printing for a long time and see no value in my making these items. Shops with 10 or 20 printers, sure, but one is not all that beneficial.. To answer your questions you best bet would be one of the Prusa printers which are the closest you will get to plug an play with good support and software.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    mymain issue with a printed mask is simple.
    The only part of that mask that is a viral filter is the actual filter pad you insert into the holder.
    The actual mask itself is most likely going to be porous enough to let the little bastards through.

Plus it's a great surface for viruses to settle in.
    Basically any 3d printed mask will need to be disposed of after a single use.
    Difficult things to properly sterilise.

I know people want to help. but unless you have an industrial sls setup or an sla machine - resin prints are watertight and should be virus tight. You really should not be making medical equipment and believing it's keeping any one safe.