Close

Student

High Temp Filament that can consisitenly take 270 degrees Celsius?

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some information on if anyone knows of any filaments that have the ability to take 270 degrees Celsius of heat consistently. We've done experiments with ceramic filaments with baking processes afterwards, but that process causes warping and such to occur, which is highly undesired for the purpose of the situation. Any help would be appreciated on this Thank you.

Staff Engineer
    Based on your requirements, PEEK filament may serve your purpose. The link presents a glass transition temperature of 293°C, just a bit higher than the 270°C in your post. A melting point of 653° is impressive, but the requirements to print are equally so.

To print with this material appears to require a very specialized printer as well as many cautions presented in the linked page.

Beyond PEEK, I've not seen much that manages the temperatures you require.

Student
    @fred, You say 293 degrees C but on the PEEK website it states that its 293 Degrees Ferenheit or 145 degrees C. Thank you for the response though, very interesting filament.

Staff Engineer
    Wow! I sure got that backwards, didn't I?

It doesn't bode well for your search, unless you can tolerate the lower glass transition temperature and are interested in only the melting temperature.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well if peek won't do the job then you need to switch from fdm to a resin machine.
    But even formlabs hi-temp resin is only good to 238c
    https://formlabs.com/uk/blog/high-te...y-3d-printing/

You might have to start thinking metal :-)

https://xactmetal.com/xm200c/

Yeah it's a 'little' more expensive - but Oh so COOL !
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-20-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donteatme7 View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm looking for some information on if anyone knows of any filaments that have the ability to take 270 degrees Celsius of heat consistently. We've done experiments with ceramic filaments with baking processes afterwards, but that process causes warping and such to occur, which is highly undesired for the purpose of the situation. Any help would be appreciated on this Thank you.

Ive been messing around with some carbon fiber today and it requires about 260C just to behave itself, it would most likely do even better at 265-270, but unfortunately, my printer only goes to 260C ( need a bigger power supply). Check out the specs on carbon fiber... it may be what youre looking for

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lmao - wrong end of the stick entirely.
    He's not talking about something that prints ay 270 but something that - once printed - can take 270c as an external environmental temperature.

'carbon fibre' filament - unless that used by markforged for continuous fibre reinforcement - is simply abs or pla with bits of carbon fibre mixed into the filament.
    Can't imagine why it would ever need to be extruded at 260c unless maybe it was mixed with polycarbonate ?